FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: favorite walleye fishin techniques ?  (Read 9721 times)

wny angler

favorite walleye fishin techniques ?
« on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:30 AM »
WHATS YOUR FAVORITE  METHOD FOR CATCHIN WALLEYES ?

for me it's strapping on the chest waders and wading out onto shallow bars casting stick baits(j-11 rapalas ect.) by the light of the moon (may-early june).

i like to feel the fish strike as i slowly work the lure..
i often catch my limit or better in the early season and sometimes hook onto muskies and bass.

l

Webguy

• Lured into it....... get reel!
Re: favorite walleye fishin techniques ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:39 AM »
I like trolling stickbaits at night in the spring, I love to hear that screeming drag! Here in NJ you are allowed to target (catch and release) fish even in the closed season of March and April. Apparently the state doesn't count on any natural reproduction.

seaweed01

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:46 AM »
Drifting with a jig/minnow combination, especially
in the fall.

eyedoktr

« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2004, 04:48 PM »
Just gimme a jig and a couple of night crawlers and I'm happy.
Pete Lewis

crappieloo

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:14 PM »
Jig w/plastics works all the time, where i go :)

suskymusky

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2004, 11:21 PM »
I fish large Rapalas with a stop and go action at night in early summer and late fall ,or throw jigs tipped with minnows or powerbait grubs. I also like to troll wallydivers or rapala tail dancers or minnowbaits near dusk.My biggest was on a leech with a small split shot.
"IMAGINATION is more important than KNOWLEDGE" Albert Einstein

fishfearme

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 10:05 AM »
jig (purple or black) and worm
Dave

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2004, 09:12 AM »
The most effective and relaxing way has to be handlining in the Detroit and St. Clair rivers. I backtroll with a #7 firetiger or clown rapala. We have had days (and nights) with catches of over 50 walleye between two of us. We release all but a few 16 to 19 inchers for dinner and our largest is 11 lb 4 oz.
FTD

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2004, 11:08 AM »
My favorite is trolling or drifting (depending on how windy it is) a 2 oz bottom bouncer with a spinner rig with either a leetch or a crawler.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #9 on: Mar 12, 2004, 03:11 PM »
Slow and stop & go with Rapala husky jerks at dusk and at night.  Alot of fun, and I caught a musky Thursday doing it.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #10 on: Mar 12, 2004, 03:56 PM »
I like to fish smaller bill lewis rattle traps and cordell super spots in lakes around dusk.
Doing this, I will catch all sorts of different fish; smallmouth, largemouth, and huge rainbow trout, along with plenty of walleye.

I also like husky jerks, especially gold ones.

Sometimes a banjo minnow or a fluke works well too.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2004, 09:00 PM »
I'm pretty much with Eyedocktr, jig or bucktail with minnow, crawler or leech. Sometimes a harness or slip rig/floater/hook.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2004, 10:15 PM »
Lipless crankbaits work really well for active walleye. Any smaller crankbait in a crayfish or baitfish color will catch walleyes, whether casted or trolled.
For less active eyes, I like curly tail grubs in white, browns, purples, or greens, fished on either 1/8 or 1/4 ounce heads. I would pick the 1/8 ounce head unless I need to cast a long distance, as a jig with a slower fall works best. If the bottom is really snaggy, which it often is if you are in a good walleye area, the lindy no snagg timber rock jigs rule.
And of course, a nightcrawler, leech, or minnow fished under a slip bobber is  the best thing to use when walleyes aren't in a mood to chase. They are my number one presentation at night under a lighted float.
I also know crawler harnesses with a good thumping spinner blade kick butt in many situations trolling, but I usually cast from shore for walleyes as the only good walleye fishery around my house has a no boat rule, :-(.

Tyler
Tyler

Jigwiggler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2004, 07:20 AM »
Most productive for me is casting/drifting soft plastics.  My favorite though, when the fish are active is crankbaits because the really smack it.  Which they don't do often with other baits.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

High Tide

« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:56 PM »
I like alot of previous posting styles, but one left out is a three way swivel with a egg weight with a 2 foot leader, and on the other end a floating rapala with a 3 foot leader and drift the rig in about 10-15 mph wind. 
But I love a slip bobber rig with a leech, as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.