FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: favorite walleye fishin techniques ?  (Read 9720 times)

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: favorite walleye fishin techniques ?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2004, 08:29 PM »
[ 8) 8) 8) Trolling or drifting with a spinner rig. favourite baits are crawlers and leeches. I also love lindy rigging. ;D ;D ;D
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2004, 09:34 PM »
After this evening, I bow to the husky jerk and praise...I couldn't reel any slower against the current.  I was probably going about a mm per second against current when the 26" eye crushed the 6" husky jerk.  It made my day!

USMC130FE

• Team NY will RULE!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2004, 10:16 PM »
Nice looking fish in your posts Otter!!!  Hope to catch some like that someday!  Keep up the good "work"

Steve
Sure the Marines are a department of the Navy........... We're the MENS DEPARTMENT!!!

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2004, 10:45 PM »
Thanks Steve!

grumpymoe

« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2004, 03:22 PM »
tough question....thought about it for awhile and concluded its the lindy rig overall. you can fish aggressively with it, or simply sit back either on shore or in the boat, and wait for the hit. either way, its probably one of the most effective setups used. grump

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:56 PM »
I like alot of previous posting styles, but one left out is a three way swivel with a egg weight with a 2 foot leader, and on the other end a floating rapala with a 3 foot leader and drift the rig in about 10-15 mph wind.

I'm going to have to try this this summer. Sounds neat. On the floating rapala line do you use a steel leader at all?, or do you just tie it directly to some mono? What pound test do you use on this setup?
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Cider

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Actually, the April issue of field and stream has an article on river fishing for spring walleyes and they mention this set-up.  They call it the Martin rig I think, or maybe Skarlis.  It looks like a great way to bottom bounce some floating rapala's in swift water or high wind.  VC - they were just using mono, no steel leaders.  They say for every one foot of dropper leader rigged to your sinker you should have three to four feet of trailing leader rigged to your stick bait, floating jighead, or whatever you like to use.

If the bottom is clear of snags use a bell sinker, if not then go with a lindy no-snag or use a pencil shaped trolling sinker

buzzbomb

« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2004, 08:07 AM »
I anchor the canoe at the end of a submerged point where I can cast all around and rip jig with one of old Ralph's homemade 3/8 oz barracuda jigs (yellow) and an inline swivel 20" up the line.  I rip jig  pretty fast (I think the jig's mostly about 14" or so off the bottom) and bait just seems to interfere with the process.   It works surprisingly well. 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.