FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Slow Death Rig  (Read 7588 times)

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Slow Death Rig
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Slow Death Rig Hooks

Has anyone used this method? How did you manage line twist? It looks like a birds nest nightmare waiting to happen!! ;D

I keep hearing about the Mustad Slow Death hooks and the slow death rig, I guess it's catching on.

The Reel Deal

• Early Worm Gets The Lunker
Re: Slow Death Rig
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:51 PM »
     I have never used them before and I have heard the same thing. But what I can tell you is that when I troll for trout and salmon I often put a barrel swivel and about two feet of stronger leader with my spoons and spinners so I can avoid the twist. You could probably do the same with the bait rig.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 05:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip... the slow death is about the only way I see to troll .5-1 mph and still have action.

eyedoktr

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:04 AM »
Thanks for the tip... the slow death is about the only way I see to troll .5-1 mph and still have action.

The last two weekends I have been covering major walleye tournaments on Lake Erie in Ohio.  Many of the pros were pulling spinners (worm harnesses) at less than 1mph to put fish in the boat. Two types of blades that will work that slow are Mack's Smile Blades and "ghost blades" made by Dutch Fork Custom Lures.
Pete Lewis

Fishin Friesz

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 01:58 PM »
I live and fish the local circuits in Montana for eyes and there are a lot of ppl using the slow death around here for awhile.  I always run the rig about 48 -60 in off the back of a bottom bouncer.  You can either put a light weight swivel about halfway between the hook and the bottom bouncer, or u can get some higher quality bb with good swivels.  Always trim your crawler when using this rig!! when you get it right it's deadly.

Mogi

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Ive used them a few times. The action in the water is awesome. I was getting a lot of short strikes before I trimmed off the tail of crawler though. Make sure and do that right off.

jopes

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:53 PM »
Matzuo has a new hook called the Death roll.  It seems to me the hook spins alot better than the Mustad hooks do.  They are also cheaper

blackbeast

« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2012, 04:04 PM »
I use them in the rivers with a good current small barrel and they seem fine haven't caught much with them but seams to give good action at 1-1.5mph current.
Either that was a coconut or i just stepped on a turtle

appleye

« Reply #8 on: Jun 06, 2012, 05:53 AM »
One trick I learned a few years ago is to use heavy line 15lb or more. It resist being twisted. Also works with crawler harnesses. Slow death is my go to presentation. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.