FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Trolling Rod for Walleye  (Read 2068 times)

vancouvercanuck

Trolling Rod for Walleye
« on: Apr 08, 2005, 11:54 AM »
What rod would you suggest for trolling for Walleye's?

I am going to use the rod %100 trolling maximum a 2 oz. bottom bouncer with spinner rig.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

RogueAngler

Re: Trolling Rod for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Much depends on the type of application you anticipate targeting the most. Are you open water trolling, precision coutour trolling.
Rod action and material varies for these and other ways for pulling spinners.

On open water, with BB'ers to 4,5 oz.'s I use a med action 8.5 foot St.Croix trolling rod. the rods parabola and action take the beating of the heavier weight, yet keep the spinner I'm pulling in the zone at speeds to 4 MPH.
 For precision apllications in where the rod is in my hand, I use a 7ft. 2 in custom St. Criox in a med. action fast taper to get up to 3 oz.'s of lead and a spinner down for vertical presentation in water 40 ft. and deeper.
For flat line trolling i have custom 9.6 med. light action rods with a slow taper for pulling spinners that are out 150 to 250 feet out behind the boat for shallow water presentations where the fish are boat shy. [6 to 20 fow]
My heavier trolling rods can take the punishment with pulling boards while running bouncers off of them [ to 3 oz.'s]as well.

Like I stated earlier, it all depends on the application.
Hope this helps.

RogueAngler
" The older I get and the longer I live, the less time I have to go fishing"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.