FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing around bridge piers  (Read 3377 times)

CMS

Fishing around bridge piers
« on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:34 PM »
Hello all, I finally caught some walleye over on the Columbia and really enjoyed it.  Back home we are getting quite the population of walleye in our lake and river.  I hear of a lot of people having success around the bridge piers.  My question is would I tie up to the piers or troll back and forth through them.

Thanks,
Casey

boondox

Re: Fishing around bridge piers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:25 PM »
Hello all, I finally caught some walleye over on the Columbia and really enjoyed it.  Back home we are getting quite the population of walleye in our lake and river.  I hear of a lot of people having success around the bridge piers.  My question is would I tie up to the piers or troll back and forth through them.

Thanks,
Casey

Not familiar with the location? Is there s lot of pier pilings ?? If so some times I pilot with the fob remote to hover and vertiacl jig from above if in the river maybe back trolling or some thing similar?? Please put location as in were back home is??

Could try anchoring and whipping like we do here in michigan ?? Anchor up river of the pilings.. then with a weight on a three way  and lures on other part of three way.. and main line on last of the three way..  any how look up the rig.. if you have questions  I can help...  we drop in to current not cast cause we don't want to tangle the rig  lift and let out line and drop it back slowlly till your close to pilings line counters help ..  then give a slow up river pull to work lures once on target...  and work it back in to the hole by bounceing back down river...

if you have lots of current it could be a 5 ounce weight if light current it might be 1/2 ounce.. crawler harness or even floating jig heads with a twister tail  work this way..  I am not sure of your regulaions cause you listed  no location..  just throwing stuff out there I think Indiana or was it ohio  they don't alow live bait during walleye run?? Don't want to give bad advise gettjng you a ticket.. so check regs and compare aloud fishing methods if it's not legal don't do it!!

For the anchor set up we use a river navy anchors that are quick release from bottom..  off the front of the boat  were the vee is it breaks the water as the current whips by..  but we let out 100 to 200 foot of anchor line with 10 foot of heavy anchor chain to hook bottom were I fish in the st clair river..   some rivers like the manistee 70#of chain on a seemeless steel ring will hook bottom.. what I would do is find out from the locals.. cause  trying to use a mushoom anchor to anchor will not work in most current..

CMS

Re: Fishing around bridge piers
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I live in northern Idaho.  Lake Pend Oreille and the Pend Oreille river are the bodies of water.  The lake has a rocky shoreline that sounds like people troll.  The river has 3 different bridges that are cement piers.
Here are the ones we caught on Columbia.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.