FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Recommend a beginner Fly combo?  (Read 4006 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Recommend a beginner Fly combo?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2018, 05:51 AM »
That should do the trick.

JDK

« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2018, 07:54 AM »
You're in trouble now.  It gets addicting.   
# SAND

seamonkey84

« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2018, 10:40 AM »
Good package to get you started. It is a very addicting sport, The different weight rods in different lengths all have their uses and purposes.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

MarkNFish

« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2018, 02:05 PM »
Good choice. 

Bartman44

« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Thank you Bartman, that's incredibly generous of you!

Flies sent.  Let me know when you get them and I can explain them to you.   

westernmas

« Reply #20 on: Sep 24, 2018, 03:34 PM »
Good choice!  You will have a bend in that rod any day now.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

walpy

« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2018, 06:34 PM »
Flies sent.  Let me know when you get them and I can explain them to you.   

Thanks again Bart! You’re far too kind!

Bartman44

« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2018, 09:26 AM »
Thanks again Bart! You’re far too kind!

No problem, I hope you catch some fish on them.  I'm headed out for a while but I'll shoot you a PM later.

walpy

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Went out for my first time this weekend - buddy took me to an unreal stream, but sadly my casting ability wasn't ready for the big leagues haha

hit 2 other, more open spots, I got some good bites - managed to land 2 chub (I might as well be a Chub Specific Guide) but man did I have fun. I can't wait to go again.

seamonkey84

« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2018, 07:09 AM »
Most of fly fishing is just learning to cast accurately, don’t worry about distance.
Just keep in mind, almost all streams and rivers are now closed to fishing, but there are some with extended seasons and a couple are open year round.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

caught_the_fever

« Reply #25 on: Oct 02, 2018, 12:36 PM »
Went out for my first time this weekend - buddy took me to an unreal stream, but sadly my casting ability wasn't ready for the big leagues haha

hit 2 other, more open spots, I got some good bites - managed to land 2 chub (I might as well be a Chub Specific Guide) but man did I have fun. I can't wait to go again.

Glad to hear you got out for the first trip, with success nonetheless.  Congratulations.

After years of throwing sports and spinfishing, my cast was more like the crack of Zorro's whip at first.  If you hadn't snapped any leaders, you're doing a heck of a lot better than me. 

As others have said it's a very additive way to fish - my spinning gear mostly collected dust this past season outside of a floating river trip and one day in strong winds when I jumped on an opportunity to get out.  While I'd never suggest one method superior to another, for me, once I stopped swearing with every attempted cast, fly fishing has become more of a cathartic experience when fishing.  I don't know if it's the rhythmic nature of the cast or what, it's just enjoyable.

Continue having a blast with it!

lowaccord66

« Reply #26 on: Oct 02, 2018, 06:49 PM »
If your ever in CT Walpy let me know.  I have a pretty good handle on 21 miles of the farmington river down here and would be happy to try to get you hooked up.  (We get some big fish too!)

Swampking89

« Reply #27 on: Oct 03, 2018, 04:16 PM »
Here in NY we have a ton of streams that are open all year(most C&R)but lots of spots to try.Great lakes tribs are great all fall,winter and spring!! If you can get over here and enjoy!!

JDK

« Reply #28 on: Oct 05, 2018, 05:55 AM »
I spent the last hour of the open water season casting streamers to native fall spawning colored up brookies.  The fish were biting, the foliage was pretty, and there were a ton of geese.  Actually one of the most relaxing trips of the season.

# SAND

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Oct 05, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I spent the last hour of the open water season casting streamers to native fall spawning colored up brookies.  The fish were biting, the foliage was pretty, and there were a ton of geese.  Actually one of the most relaxing trips of the season.

Nothing better.  I've been nailing bows on Pat's rubber legs nightly.  Fun throwing bigger stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.