FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead 2021  (Read 7151 times)

Salmon Egg

Steelhead 2021
« on: Feb 13, 2021, 08:18 PM »
Have any of you guys been out fishing for steelhead?  I want to try for them this year.   Are they biting now or is it too cold?   Thanks

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Steelhead 2021
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2021, 06:35 AM »
Never to cold for steelheads..    ;)
 They have been doing fine on the SR.   
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Never to cold for steelheads..    ;)
 They have been doing fine on the SR.

Yup, but locally the creeks are all frozen up pretty good.

However, Jeff and I have a trip scheduled with Matt of UnReel Fishing in the lower Niagara next Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/UnreelFishingNY

That's a FB link of his site.
You can scroll thru it and see some past and present photos of Jeff and I in there along with tons of others.

Matt's a freind of Jeff's and he always works hard for his clients.
We always do well with him wqhen we go out.
I'm looking forward to fishing with my son for sure, but not to the cold.
Would rather be fishing for wsnook or tarpon right now in south Florida.

Salmon Egg

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2021, 09:48 AM »
Good info, thanks guys

Salmon Egg

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2021, 09:56 AM »
With this info I think I’m going to skip work on Friday and fish the Oswego River on Friday and Saturday. It will be my first attempt at steelhead fishing. 

Salmon Egg

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2021, 07:16 PM »
Okay, I’m putting my plans together.  A buddy is going to join me.  It’m a 4.5 hour drive from home.  I am planning to fish floats with spawn sacks and/or jigs.  Any pointers?

paul young

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:43 AM »
The Oswego is a difficult river to fish from the bank in any weather, but especially so in winter. Absolutely wear a life preserver vest if you go there and be extremely cautious when wading. Cleats are a must!!!! Can't say I recommend it for a first timer. You can fish from the wall with a slip float, but you'll need a net with a 10 foot handle to land any fish.

I would suggest that you go to the upper portion of the Salmon river. Much smaller water, with very good bank fishing access. Be sure to wear some sort of cleats. A 'baptism' at this time of year will probably cut your day short and could be life threatening. If you don't have them, you  can rent them from All seasons or Whitakers. Concentrate your efforts above the bridge at Pineville. Work the water which is 3 to to 6 feet deep which is moving at a speed like your normal walking pace. Some of this type of water may be very close to the bank, so don't just immediately wade right in. Look for seams moving at this pace adjacent to faster moving water. These seams are money!

I don't post a lot, but have 16 years of experience on both of these rivers. Good luck, wherever you go, and be safe! -Paul

Salmon Egg

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  I really appreciate the suggestions.  I think I may take your advice and hit the Salmon River on Saturday. My friend who wants to go is almost 70 and doesn’t own waders.  I was thinking Oswego because some people suggested we could fish from the wall.  I have a net with an 8’ handle but couldn’t find anything longer.  I am hoping I can find something at a store up there. 

Based on your suggestion and the forecast, I am thinking of trying the Oswego River on Friday and heading to Pulaski on Saturday morning. The winds are supposed to be between 15 and 20 mph and temps in the mid-20s.  That sounds like good weather to have some woods to break the wind.

If it was just me, I’d wait a couple weeks but my buddy is eager to get out of the house.  He’ll probably regret that in about 15 minutes.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2021, 01:53 PM »
Paul,
That’s one of the most generous posts I’ve ever seen on this site or IceShanty. Thank you for providing accurate, considerate information......in my humble opinion ( I still type it out)

Bob
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Salmon Egg

« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2021, 03:16 PM »
Paul,
That’s one of the most generous posts I’ve ever seen on this site or IceShanty. Thank you for providing accurate, considerate information......in my humble opinion ( I still type it out)

Bob

I agree. If there is anything I can help you with fishing or hunting in PA, let me know b

paul young

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2021, 08:02 AM »
Thank you for the offer!

How did your steelhead debut fishing trip go? -Paul

Salmon Egg

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:36 AM »
On advice of a local, we pushed it back 2 weeks. The weather was looking rough.  We are heading up Friday, March 5 rain or shine.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2021, 06:18 PM »
if you  fish oswego i use my center pin   on the  high wall  simply walk  down stream  to the  stairs  walk  down and net your  fish ... follow  the  leader law and  set your shot accordingly if the  snow  is  down  start your  drift  at the  gazebo walk  yur  drift  down to the  stairs 
start at  12foot   hook to boober if ya  see a miserable old  fart  with a  bass pro shop hat  and  a compass pinned to  his jacket  say hello
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Salmon Egg

« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2021, 06:39 PM »
if you  fish oswego i use my center pin   on the  high wall  simply walk  down stream  to the  stairs  walk  down and net your  fish ... follow  the  leader law and  set your shot accordingly if the  snow  is  down  start your  drift  at the  gazebo walk  yur  drift  down to the  stairs 
start at  12foot   hook to boober if ya  see a miserable old  fart  with a  bass pro shop hat  and  a compass pinned to  his jacket  say hello

Thanks Trapper.  I do have a centerpin setup but I have never used it.  I’ll give  it a try.  We’re planning to arrive around noon on Friday. I’ll be in a silver Tacoma and probably wearing tan Carhartt pants, a wool hat and glasses with a shorter guy with a full head of gray hair.  Maybe I’ll see you out there.  We are not experienced but I bought all of the gear that people suggested (have a net now too) and I’m looking forward to trying it.

Salmon Egg

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2021, 10:16 AM »
Okay, we are ready to go.  We are shooting to leave for Pulaski, NY around 6:00 a.m. tomorrow morning. We will be coming from the world-famous “Delco” and it’s about a 4.5 hour drive.  It looks like it is going to be cold and really windy.  Those will probably be brutal fishing conditions but I already pushed it back once.  It is time to soldier on.  Maybe I’ll see a couple of you guys out there.  I’ll post reports. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.