FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: And people wonder why  (Read 6992 times)

oldtown42

And people wonder why
« on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:29 PM »
Fished a small public easement stream yesterday. tripped on something and when I looked down it was a wire, attached to a conabear with a beaver from last year in it. It was tied off to a tree, so it wasn't a washout. Sooo, it wasn't tagged with an address, the trap clearly hadn't been checked last fall, and it was in an area that kids would likely visit to fish in the spring (near a bridge and car pulloff).  Trapping an area like that in late fall and winter is probably ok since you won't get a lot of people in the stream then. But, what if a beaver hadn't been caught in the set last fall and someone wading ran into it? Or, what if some kids found it and tried to get the beaver out and broke a hand. I called the TIPP line to report it.

I have been an avid outdoorsman for 35 years. I've hunted, fished and trapped and had some pretty big arguments with the antis. But the more I see nonsense like this, the more I realize that a few jerks can ruin everything. This was the dumbest thing I have seen.

troutguy1377

• Waiting to walk on water again
Re: And people wonder why
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2008, 07:53 PM »
I totally agree with you if the trapper just left it there he is a moron. But maybe something happend
to him, an old trapper around here got real sick and never got back out to get his traps. A couple were found by his son but not all of them. His traps were all labeled though so I don't think this trap you talk about  was his.

Spikehorn11

« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Who ever set this wasn't a trapper. I have had more people ask me how to get rid of animals and when I explain the laws they just look at me like I have 3 heads.

I would be surprised if some one down stream or around there did it so the beaver wouldn't flood them or cut trees down. They live their everyday lives and forget all together or just don't care.

oldtown42

« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:27 PM »
Wasn't near Gloversville, was in eastern ny. Maybe something happened to whoever set it but needless to say, not a good reflection. If it ws a muskrat trap or something there would be less chance of a problem in case someone couldn't get to it, but if you are using traps this big you should have a map of your line just in case. As to it not being a trapper, I think you meant not a law abiding trapper. A nontrapper would probably go for a different type of set.  Don't mean to beat this to death, just venting.

ShaneO19

« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Trapping animals should not be allowed anyway.

oldtown42

« Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2008, 09:04 PM »
I disagree, like anything, just be smart. Be careful about what you ban...next time it can be your rights trampled on. If you don't like it don't do it, but don't tell others what to do if it isn't hurting you or others.

Spikehorn11

« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2008, 12:15 AM »

The same could easily be said for fishing.

Sportsman have to stick together or we will fall one at a time.

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:11 AM »
they should have had their name on the trap. and don't give the antis any ammo! ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2008, 05:09 AM »

Like Spikehorn11 said, It wasn't a Trapper. Don't condemn trapping because of one slob!
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

ShaneO19

« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:01 AM »
The same could easily be said for fishing.

Sportsman have to stick together or we will fall one at a time.

Sorry but I don't see fishing as a valid comparison to trapping animals. 
I could argue for weeks here though and it wouldn't get through to most if anyone here.

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:14 AM »
There's no excuse for setting traps near public fishing holes (especially trout streams where people are more likely to wade)...PERIOD!!

troutguy1377

• Waiting to walk on water again
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:01 AM »
I could argue for weeks here though and it wouldn't get through to most if anyone here.

Ok , lets compare it to hunting, if you take one away it just makes it eaiser for the antis to get rid of everything we as sportsman love to do

CAPTJJ

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:30 AM »

I don't see a difference between fishing and trapping, they are both effective methods that man has developed to catch animals for consumption. Would it make you feel better if people went out with a rod and reel to catch beaver? ;D

Spikehorn11

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I don't see a difference between fishing and trapping, they are both effective methods that man has developed to catch animals for consumption. Would it make you feel better if people went out with a rod and reel to catch beaver? ;D

Peta would love that one.  ;D

Buckski

• Wish I had more days to fish!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Wow glad to see we have all the sportsmen in the world here.
Man if you don't trap, thats fine for you. They are allowed by law to drop traps in these spots.
Its the checking and picking up part I have a problem with.
Internet heros give it a rest!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.