FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: And....The Battle Begins!  (Read 9832 times)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
Re: And....The Battle Begins!
« Reply #60 on: Jul 27, 2017, 04:32 PM »
Anyone ever use human hair to deter deer? A guy I used to work with swore by it. He used to go to the local barber and get a trash bag of it, and spread it out and said it worked great.

Works great. I spread it around my neighbors tree stands..... 8)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #61 on: Jul 27, 2017, 05:09 PM »
youre a Bad Man Dom.

I like it ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

tomturkey

« Reply #62 on: Jul 27, 2017, 06:08 PM »
They used to use u human hair in the orchards around here.

Now they use motel size Irish spring soap. They punch a hole in the bottom of a Styrofoam cup and in the bar of soap. The soap is hung in the upside down cup with the string coming out the bottom to hang it on the young trees.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Jul 27, 2017, 06:22 PM »
My neighbor swears by it.

Glad I use Dial ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Spider1

« Reply #64 on: Jul 28, 2017, 05:27 AM »
hair doesn't work. It doesn't hold enough scent for long enough and deer will get used to just about anything. Even soap. We used the liquid fence and it worked great but it seriously stinks. Then my wife found out that you can make the stuff for a fraction of the price so we started using the homemade stuff and it worked just as good and stunk just as bad. After a couple years I said enough... I can put up with the deer better than having the yard stink like someone ran rotten eggs through my old socks.

One time I was target shooting with the bow in the back yard during the archery season when a doe stepped out of the woods in front of my target. I shrugged and put one through her lungs. There were a few of them standing back in the woods as I cleaned her out... didn't see a deer on my side of the wood line for more than a year after that.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #65 on: Jul 28, 2017, 07:45 AM »
The liquid fence I sprayed stinks for a couple hours and then not at all. Home made stuff is ok but it's hard to strain enough to spray. I figure that there's only 2 or 3 good months of growing season left for the flowers anyway. I'll just spray as directed. 2 times a week apart and then once a month.

No dmaage the last two nights .

Rg

Spider1

« Reply #66 on: Jul 28, 2017, 10:57 AM »
My wife used to make it up 1 gal at a time and strain it through cheese cloth and we put it in a garden sprayer. I never had a problem... but then again, I refused to spray the stuff. LOL! There's supposed to be some stuff out now that doesn't stink as bad. I don't know how well it works or even if it's a real thing.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #67 on: Jul 28, 2017, 11:06 AM »
Coyote urine also works well around tree stands, I mean gardens...    ;)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

bart

• Gone fish'n, not wish'n
« Reply #68 on: Jul 28, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I use the 17HMR for the woodchuck battles, after neutralizing four, I think I won that war for this year...

For deer I use soap, Irish Spring, I place it around my sweet corn. I hang it from stakes about 3' up, kinda like soap on a rope.

I made a scarecrow also, Michael with be going on duty soon...
KEEP AMERICA GREAT!  God Bless America!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #69 on: Jul 28, 2017, 06:21 PM »
Jackson?

Rg

jperch

« Reply #70 on: Jul 28, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Deer are so darn adaptable that most any nonlethal approach will eventually be overcome by them.  I was at Penn State for a few years and hunted on their property.  They were conducting research on methods to keep deer out of crop fields.  They had sound cannons activated by motion detectors.  I think they said the deer ignored those in short order.  They built tall fences around a corn field.  The deer actually dug holes in opportune spots and crawled underneath.  There was one approach, I think, that was effective.  It was a regular fence with a tarp that obstructed their view.  Apparently they don't like to jump a fence if they can't see what is on the other side.  I personally have tried using an electric fence to keep horses out of a clover field.  The deer ran right through the fence on several occasions.  They are amazing critters.  Tasty, too!    jperch

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #71 on: Jul 28, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Electric fence keeps them all out. Squirrels, house cats, feral cats, opossums, raccoons, coyotes, bears, and deer. One strand 4" high, second strand 8" high will stop them all.  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #72 on: Jul 29, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Speaking of critter deterrents......I decided to transplant some chard and leaf lettuce into the garlic bed.

I figure it ought to keep unwanted marauders from the free meal.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.