FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion  (Read 56491 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Steelhead & Domestic Rainbow Trout Strains discussion
« Reply #240 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:51 PM »
Taken from here.......NYSDEC Lake Ontario Annual Report 2004:- http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lorpt04sec2.pdf

well  worth the  read   
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishgalore

« Reply #241 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:55 PM »
looks like a nice trout to me 8) its not a salmon ;D. good one

HT I think that's the most accurate ID'ing we can have! Good post!!

trapper2000

« Reply #242 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:02 PM »
looks like a nice trout to me 8) its not a salmon ;D. good one

:rotflol:  :rotflol: The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is a species of salmonid native ...... :rotflol: :rotflol:SALMONIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just  picking

H.T.

• I AM PROUD TO BE AN *OPPORTUNIST*
« Reply #243 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:06 PM »
if your hungry -rope it and we will find out what it really is later :P ??? ;D

fishgalore

« Reply #244 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:07 PM »
:rotflol:  :rotflol: The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is a species of salmonid native ...... :rotflol: :rotflol:SALMONIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just  picking

When I get there I will give more details but I saw bits and pieces yesterday. Before they were classified as O Mykiss they were classified in the Salmonoid family and it caused a bit of a stir because Salmon spawn and die while Trout do not die following the spawn. That's been part of the problematic taxonomic rank issue with these fish. The same, similar and yet different.

fishgalore

« Reply #245 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:08 PM »
if your hungry -rope it and we will find out what it really is later :P ??? ;D

Yum............I like that idea!

trapper2000

« Reply #246 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:08 PM »
When I get there I will give more details but I saw bits and pieces yesterday. Before they were classified as O Mykiss they were classified in the Salmonoid family and it caused a bit of a stir because Salmon spawn and die while Trout do not die following the spawn. That's been part of the problematic taxonomic rank issue with these fish. The same, similar and yet different.

alantics   don't  die 

fishgalore

« Reply #247 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:15 PM »
alantics   don't  die 

Correct, I should have specified Pacific............but the Pacific were needed since the Atlantics became extinct by 1872 in LO. Remember O Mykiss were found among the Pacific Salmon and then eventually they were both propagated east!

fishgalore

« Reply #248 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:47 PM »
Can anyone identify this one?

Well what's the verdict?

trapper2000

« Reply #249 on: Dec 13, 2011, 04:15 PM »
verdict  is  in !!!!  thats  a Oncorhynchus mykiss for  sure!!!!!

fishgalore

« Reply #250 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:05 PM »
verdict  is  in !!!!  thats  a Oncorhynchus mykiss for  sure!!!!!

Another quiz:-

In its first year of operation (1879), Stones trout hatchery on the McCloud River cultured more than how many eggs?

In 6 years the US Fish Commission had propagated rainbows to how many of the 38 states in the union?

Who was the 1st to describe rainbow trout to a western audience?  Hint:- Great Northern Expedition-Naturalist

In 1792 what became the 1st official Latin name for the rainbow trout? Hint: 2 words......... it remained that way for about 127 yrs.

The difficulty of the taxonomic task can be seen by this fact........."But over the next century, other taxonomists took up the challenge where Stone left off. They split the rainbows into as many as 16 different species or combined them into a single species, depending on whether they were splitters or lumpers." (look up that phrase)

When (what year) did the new Latin name for the species known also as the rainbow trout change to the present form?

What is the technical term to describe a species that spawns more than once and doesn't die afterward?

What is the technical term to describe a species that spawns only once and then dies?

fishgalore

« Reply #251 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:02 PM »

Another quiz:-

In its first year of operation (1879), Stones trout hatchery on the McCloud River cultured more than how many eggs? more than a quarter million eggs

In 6 years the US Fish Commission had propagated rainbows to how many of the 38 states in the union? 33............Also England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Canada & Mexico

Who was the 1st to describe rainbow trout to a western audience?  Hint:- Great Northern Expedition-Naturalist
Georg Wilhelm Steller

In 1792 what became the 1st official Latin name for the rainbow trout? Hint: 2 words......... it remained that way for about 127 yrs.
Salmo Mykiss

The difficulty of the taxonomic task can be seen by this fact........."But over the next century, other taxonomists took up the challenge where Stone left off. They split the rainbows into as many as 16 different species or combined them into a single species, depending on whether they were splitters or lumpers." (look up that phrase)

When (what year) did the new Latin name for the species known also as the rainbow trout change to the present form? 1988  Oncorhynchus mykiss

What is the technical term to describe a species that spawns more than once and doesn't die afterward? iteroparous

What is the technical term to describe a species that spawns only once and then dies? semelparous

fishgalore

« Reply #252 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:09 PM »
True or false # 1-5

1).......fishing was primarily a rich, ruling class, aristocratic gentlemans sport from the late 19th to early 20th century?

2).........Industrialization was a major factor for private fishing clubs to spring up?

3)..........Trout populations nearby urban areas became fish wastelands forcing anglers to find them elsewhere?

4)...........The Connetquot river is still known as a place where "catching" not fishing is done.

5) ...........trout were viewed much differently than other fish such as catfish.

6) Name the "game" fish and other fish constituted as "rough or course."

fishgalore

« Reply #253 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:14 PM »
True or false # 1-5

1).......fishing was primarily a rich, ruling class, aristocratic gentlemans sport from the late 19th to early 20th century?

2).........Industrialization was a major factor for private fishing clubs to spring up?

3)..........Trout populations nearby urban areas became fish wastelands forcing anglers to find them elsewhere?

4)...........The Connetquot river is still known as a place where "catching" not fishing is done.

5) ...........trout were viewed much differently than other fish such as catfish.

6) Name the "game" fish and other fish constituted as "rough or course."

The answer for #1-5 are all TRUE.

6) Obviously, Trout were "game" fish and so were Salmon. Catfish were viewed with disdain as scavengers that lurked in stagnant and unclean water. They were the lowest of low on the spectrum so much so many didn't even want to handle them but would kick them back into the water.

fishgalore

« Reply #254 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:19 PM »
Here's link which may or may not be helpful. I may try to register.

http://www.fws.gov/warmsprings/nfsr/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.