FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bivy tents  (Read 16849 times)

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
Bivy tents
« on: Mar 08, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I'm looking at doing some overnight hikes to remote ponds to expand my adirondack adventures.  I have been looking at different 1-man bivy tents. I was wondering if anyone on here has a bivy tent, what kind is it, and how much do they like it.

michfish

Re: Bivy tents
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2013, 06:13 PM »
those one man bivy tent are too hard for me to get in and out of. if i had to pack a back paking tent for one person i would go for the eureka timber line 2 at least for one person you can store back and gear in it so it does not get wet. the tent height is 4 foot ware thsoe one man bivys are 2.1to 2.5  foot height your in the mud trying to get in it and drag the mud in with you. now that your thinking about it all you need to do is pair the eureka with a good frame pack to carry your  tent / sleeping bag / gear. also fleece mite be the way to go in the summer for sleeping bags with a lite back paking tent. if planning to go spring time you will fore sure need warmer unless you in florida lol's  any ways here is a link to eurekas web site.

http://www.eurekatent.com/

Briansnat

« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2013, 04:41 PM »
I have a Mountainsmith solo bivy tent.  Before that I had a Slumberjack soly bivy.  They are fine if you just want a place for bug free sleeping, but if you wind up with a rainy night and need to get inside early it kind of sucks. You can't sit up and  the  top of the tent is inches from your face.  The Mountainsmith at least has a small vestibule where I can keep my hiking boots and a bottle of water, but  it is too small to hang out beneath.

Last year I switched to hammock camping. In the spring I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock and a silnylon tarp.  Besides the very light weight and  outstanding comfort, if it's wet I can hang out under the tarp, then string the hammock in about a minute when it's time to hit the hay.  And you can hang it wherever you find trees. No more searching around for a flat spot for the tent. 

smokey

« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I've actually been looking at the cheap Walmart 2 man dome tents.

I can't remember at the moment which one I was going to buy. But the size was more than the average bivy, it weighed less, and it was dirt cheap. And I'm pretty sure it was packable if you're planning on backpacking. I think for around $35-40, the reviews on it were actually very favorable.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2013, 07:12 PM »
I have a Wenzel Hiker Tent that I purchased at Campmor. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___36447

I'm on my second one. The first one had a seem come loose on its third outing, but Campmor replaced it within a week. It's super-light and easy to set up, and it definitely keeps the bugs off you. It says it's for 1-2 persons, but by golly, if there's a second, it needs to be your wife or girlfriend (just don't let the other find out!  ;D ) You'll want a pack cover, because there isn't room for gear, and maybe a plastic trash bag to cover your boots, unless you don't mind them next to your head. I did spend a night of thunderstorms and downpours in it once, and it did keep me dry. It's  great for summer-time over-nights for little money.
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Bigkid69er

« Reply #5 on: Oct 01, 2016, 08:53 AM »
I bought one of eBay. Cheap works well for camping when it's just me staying a night before a kayak tournament. It was cheap -30 bucks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2016, 06:22 PM »
You realize the last post to this topic was more than 3 years ago?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.