FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Camping sites?  (Read 17462 times)

archbishop

Re: Camping sites?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2005, 10:04 AM »

wigen

« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2005, 01:54 AM »
all nys parks charge the same amount $13.00 a night, electric a bit more and water sites usually around $20-$25 anight. adirondacks you can camp for free i most places, but many sre the norm $13 a night.  alot of them you need to make reservations which will run ya another $8 bucks, especially around the holidays. for fishing fairhaven is nice, kring point (st.lawrence)is very nice, cedar point(st.lawrence) also very nice. Their are many with great fishing opportunities. check uot reserveamerica.com for a complete listing, or the nys gazette is also a very informative book.

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 24, 2005, 09:16 AM »
I work at King Phillips Campsite in Lake George (518)668-5763 in the summer. We charge $25 a night for a tent site, $27 for pop-up, and $32 for full hook up. Also if you don't mind primitive campsites on 13th lake north of North Creek is about 7 or 8 primitive sites maintaned by DEC. ALso if you go north of Minerva, Just before the bridge over the Boreas River there is a little road off to the left that leads to 3 or 4 primitive campsites along the Boreas river.

archbishop

« Reply #18 on: Jul 06, 2005, 01:17 PM »
i was talking about this subject with others and they were amazed at the prices at NYS parks most other states you can go off and camp for free but not NY they want $20 so you can camp 6' from another camper and 90% of the time its some drunk kids that are up all night and want you to help them start a fire in the morning i live next to the largest park in NY and all the worker there just say who would ever know if you wandered off and tossed up a tent in the middle off nowhere lol anyone that goes to ASP knows the cops dont get out of there cars much unless there cute girls at the ice cream stand  ;D

Hookset

« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2005, 10:20 AM »
i love to camp but it seems anymore you need to know someone with land or pay up the yazoo to do it does anyone have any good camping spots around new york or anywhere thats free or not to expensive?

lets get this thread started no info on camping at all yet

Just passed a free camping area on my way home from Tupper Lake.  It is on Rt 28, just north of Gore Mountain(I-87 to Exit 23, North on Rt 9 to Rt 28).  As you are going north, it is on the left.  No RV's or campers, just tenters or less.  There is a sign that says "Free Primitive Camping".  I didn't have time to check it out, but I will say that "primitive" appeared to be the key word.  I did not see any type of facilities available there at all.  Looked great, heavily wooded, lightly used.  Good luck.
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

bigdave1018

« Reply #20 on: Sep 02, 2005, 07:47 PM »
i know of 1 place out of alex bay thats free. the only catch is you have to register in A bay and the camp site is only reached by boat!!!! I learned of this spot last year when i went on 1 of the 1000 island boat tours. fair haven state park has cheap cabins, some are very nice and others are just basic, the only catch being usually you have to reserve them a year in advance :-\. my friends just went there for 160.00 a week , 4 beds and a fridge was all that was in the cabin. the beds were old hospital beds very hard mattresses, you get the drift, lol. hope this helped somewhat.

jrelaxin

« Reply #21 on: Sep 11, 2005, 04:42 PM »
I'M paying about 2k for a site in maine with full sewer/water...electric extra my own....with the phone and cable that 30ft tag=a=long isalmost a second home....it makes the boss happy and when she is happy I'm out fishin....besides there is nothin more peaceful than a nite campfire in the fall...got about a month left.
Donut a day and I'm ready to play
 Dave

archbishop

« Reply #22 on: Sep 11, 2005, 05:33 PM »
besides there is nothin more peaceful than a nite campfire in the fall...got about a month left.

amen to that jr, amen to that :tipup:

FarginIcehole

« Reply #23 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:27 AM »
my wife and i just purchased 2 cemetary plots and with the cost of a tent site being half the cost of a cheap hotel room,my tiny piece of land in the country will fit a sleeping bag perfectly.

Ice Dawg

« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2006, 01:48 PM »
my wife and i just purchased 2 cemetary plots and with the cost of a tent site being half the cost of a cheap hotel room,my tiny piece of land in the country will fit a sleeping bag perfectly.
We wouldn't want you to start using it any time soon though. At least not for the purpose that ya bought it. :o ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #25 on: Apr 20, 2006, 04:29 PM »
i was talking about this subject with others and they were amazed at the prices at NYS parks most other states you can go off and camp for free but not NY they want $20 so you can camp 6' from another camper and 90% of the time its some drunk kids that are up all night and want you to help them start a fire in the morning i live next to the largest park in NY and all the worker there just say who would ever know if you wandered off and tossed up a tent in the middle off nowhere lol anyone that goes to ASP knows the cops dont get out of there cars much unless there cute girls at the ice cream stand  ;D

I know this thread is a little old but, I have been to hundreds of NY state run camp grounds, there are the backyard camp grounds where they stick a bunch numbers on a stick in the ground , throw in a 6 inch tall round metal fire place, plant a pine tree from from the garden center at walmart and call it a camp site. Oh, and put in a bath room that has a light so bright it, toilets so loud they keep you up all night. These places SUCK

Then there are places where there are actual natural grown trees between the sites that have been there for 60 years or so, nice stone or brick fire places and sites right on water. These are a- lot better than the first I mentioned.

The best state run campground I have ever been to is Rollins Pond outside of Lake Placid, You have to drive through another campground to get to it, any way it's great I go there 2 times a year. Every single site is right on the lake, the sites are huge also and spaced roughly anywhere from 75-200 feet apart. If you ever go that way stop there or better yet call in advance,it is usually filled every weekend.

Best Free camping hands down is in the Moose River Plains and The West Canada Wilderness Area, my girlfreind and I spent a week at each last year, just driving from one lake or pond to the next and we are going back to one or the other this year, because we didn't even put a dent in the list of lakes & ponds we wanted to fish. There are campsites and out houses all along the way and some fantastic scenery and even better fishing.
If you wanna pay go woth Rollins, Raquette, 8th lake , But if your looking for free camping MRP & WCWA are awesome.

We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

PerchandPans

« Reply #26 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:38 PM »
Mickey finn ,ditto on Rollins spent many excellent times there when I was younger ,large amount of water to explore ,boat rentals etc.  I once was a member of a hunting camp  near the moose river plains  great area lots of fun in the river . In the west (California -Oregon etc ) there is free camping everywhere mostly primitive but usually a toilet  . You can litterly camp for a week and not see another person,  some of these are so remote or many are right off from well travelled highways . This is for anyone that has not been to the west, do yourself a favor if possible and take your kids ,heck even your parents to see the coastal redwoods and seqouias words and televisoin cannot do justice to those magnificent giants and the ecosystem that thrives underneath their canopies we walked within 40 yards of Monster racked Roosevelt elk on the Del Norte County  California coast above Humbolt !

bwalleye

• OK, just follow my nose
« Reply #27 on: Apr 21, 2006, 12:14 AM »
Letchworth is part of the reason I shelled out the money for an Empire Passport.

What does an Empire Passport go for?  Do you pay every year?

Thanks,
Otis

Otis
$59.00,  check out http://www.nysparks.com/passport/

Hope this helps.

fishyfinger

« Reply #28 on: Apr 26, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Moose River Plains is awesome and HUGE :o Early season trout and free camping :laugh: you can get in there with a good size fifth wheel to some sites, if you want, just go explore it first without trailer and find the sites big enough, don't get lost ;) and bring good supply of fly repelent cause the deer flys and black flys will carry you awaaayy :'( I'm thinking screen tent  ::) Sites are first come first serve so holiday weekends are tough to get the one site you must have but there are others. Roads are maintained well and patrolled by forest service personell. don't cut any standing wood for fires even if it is dead. There are some springs for water supply. Hint, if you choose a site with long drive way and no one can see if you are there, put a paper plate with your name or somthing to indicate "occupied" on it so you don't get people exploring your site driving in all the time. To find it go north of Old Forge on rte. 28 to the town of Inlet the access road is on the right off the limekiln lake road. At the end of the road before the lake turn left to the old ranger station and sign in at the entry log station. Enjoy the ADK's

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #29 on: Apr 26, 2006, 10:21 AM »
Lots of free campsites in the Adirondacks. By the Boreas river bridge north of Minerva, 13th lake, also in the Adirondack Mountain Club books, you can find some listings of Free state camping sites.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.