FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Whatcha Cookn'?  (Read 9627 times)

vancouvercanuck

Whatcha Cookn'?
« on: May 04, 2005, 03:05 PM »
What do you take/use when camping?

Coleman Propane Stove
and
Propane BBQ
and
sometimes over the open fire
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

Pikeguy

Re: Whatcha Cookn'?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 03:08 PM »
Open fire with a basket to cook fish, brats, burgers, etc. Duck breast strips, marinated and wrapped in bacon are awesome over an open fire.

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 03:25 PM »
Well we have a Fire and Ice grill and I like to cook over an open flame. I love cookin in the outdoors. :D
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

devil-man

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 05:38 PM »
Yep, I just got a new Weber Smoky Joe. It's great.
I also have a small propane grill, but I don't like it as much.
Open fire is good for some things, but you can't keep the temperature as even.

Arch- we'll definitely do some outdoor cooking at the catfishing get-together next weekend.
 8)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 04:42 AM »
my favorite camping meal is very much a tradition for me and my friends. before the camping trip my buddy and i take a ride to boston where his wifes family has a butcher shop and i dont know what they use for a marinade sauce but its the best ever. we pick up as much as we can as she only makes it every so often and it goes fast. so we get our tips and go camping and cook them on an oven rack over an open fire and MMMMMMMM  i cant wait
Scotty 

archbishop

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 08:29 AM »
hey you know what i think we all loved as kids and probably adults are those sandwich makers with whatever in them i think i still have 3-4 of them ill have to dig those out i used to love making little pizzas and stuff in those mmmmmm toss in the ingredients fold and hold over the fire mmmmm

troutbum

• Wish I was Fishing!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:55 PM »
i generally cook a lot over coals with aluminum foil bags..  one of my favorites
venison neck roast marinated in our own tanglefoot ( cook for a few hours frequently flipping on the edge of a good hot coal bed
if you are lucky enough to land some fish for the meal foil bags work great too.. fish only takes a couple minutes per side depending on size :P

toss some corn on the cob and taters into individual  foil bags with a little h20 and season to taste

after a hard day of fishing why not eat like a king out there :)

"Nature hides her secrets because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."
Einstein

archbishop

« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2006, 03:34 PM »
if you are lucky enough to land some fish for the meal foil bags work great too.. fish only takes a couple minutes per side depending on size :P

mmmmm, cant wait to camp out on the shore and eat some fresh fish over a open fire :tipup:

bayonne

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 07:30 PM »
love doing a pot roast in a dutch oven man thats good eating

Big Burk

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 11:32 PM »
fish in aluminum foil over hot coals and home made fries in aluminum foil over hot coals and some Pepsi 8)

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Wally-world sells a rack with feet (for cooking on a campfire) that works AWESOME and is very cheap...i buy a new one every year.  My specialty is ribeyes coated in pepper/salt/garlic powder....just the best!!

My brother does enchiladas in a dutch oven....awesome!!

xrhino

• MMMM! Beer!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 11:34 AM »
Two entirely different types of camping:
1. Stationary camping in a campground or state park-
I love lightly marinated venison tenderloin cooked very rare over a hot bed of coals.  Fry up some shrooms and onions on the side and maybe sear some spinach... heavan.  Those pie things mentioned above we called them "pudgie pies."  We stuffed them with ham and eggs, canned pie filling, or burrito ingredients.  I sometimes pre cook foil packets of beef/chicken/pork and veggies at home.  Thean all you have to do is warm up the packs and your ready to eat.  Of course there's always shore lunch in the cast iron if you were lucky enough to land some fish.

2. Light and fast backpacking or a multi-day float-
Jetboil stove with a wonderful selection of ramen and mac & cheese.  Add some energy bars and I'm good for as long as we're out.
Pain is weakness leaving the body.

High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement

BAZOOKAJOE

« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2006, 05:11 PM »
Weber Smoky Joe

Those are pretty sweet!!  I had one for a long time and cooked many a tasty meal on it.  I can't understand anybody that brings a propane burner with them on a camping trip.   ???  Might as well bring a microwave too (it will taste about the same).

BlueDuck

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Depends on what we are cooking.   I use a dutch oven quite a bit.  Sometimes just foil. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.