FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: tips & tricks  (Read 35041 times)

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
tips & tricks
« on: May 06, 2005, 04:45 AM »
im sure with all of us here there are many tricks and tips that could be very useful to each other. one that i use quite often is potato chip products and snacks as a firestarter. forget newspaper light a cheetos on fire and see what happens!you might not want to put them in your childs backpack after.
Scotty 

wormwigglr

Re: tips & tricks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 08:36 AM »
i use lint from the drier, it works like a charm to start fires

Hood

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 08:52 AM »
use a pocketknife to shave up some strands off a stick, they catch quick and burn hot, I like to make a little pile. Also if you find dry milkweed pods, they go up in a flash, only need to hit it with a spark. Also steel wool will catch and burn super hot, just bundle it up, light it once then blow on it, add some birch bark (or cheetos and chips ;)) and watch it flame up.  gettin it goin, start with small sticks then build from there, a Teepee shape of sticks is what I like.  I wish I could remember all the stuff I learned at Challenge Wilderness in VT, every kid should go there.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

troutbum

• Wish I was Fishing!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 02:22 PM »
my  best advice for anyone hiking or wilderness camping. get great footwear.. have extra socks in ziplock bags

there is nothing worse than 20 miles of wilderness trail ahead and wet irritated feet  :cursing:

"Nature hides her secrets because of her essential loftiness, but not by means of ruse."
Einstein

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 07:41 PM »
Another great fire starter is that hand sanitizer gel that they sell, the stuff has a ton of alcohol in it, and starts a fire for me every time (as long as i remember the matches or lighter that is ::))  You can get it in little tiny bottles or small pump bottles up to even gallon size jars of the stuff, and its VERY inexpensive.  I always have at least a tiny bottle on me.
Two more tips, kind of basic though, is to always put the entrance of your tent downhill, and also always dig at least a minor trench around the tent to give rain water a place to go.

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 08:05 PM »
For emergency use, take half of a cartridge's powder and bullet out, and pour that half of the powder on the kindling. The, take a small peice of cloth, and stuff it in the end of the cartridge. Chamber the round, and fire! The cloth will be smoldering, so just place it on the kindling.

Melt parrafin wax from candles onto matches, that'll waterproof them. Just scratch it off to use them.

Also, potassium chlorate(some throat tablets) mixed with sugar 3:1  Weedkiller and sugar 3:1 also work. Just create friction!

Car battery, and two wires. take a wire from each terminal. Slowly bring the wires together, and have them right on top of tinder when they are about to touch. Right before contact, sparks will jump across, sparking your little fire

That's my little pyro lesson for today... :P

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 12:17 AM »
im sure with all of us here there are many tricks and tips that could be very useful to each other. one that i use quite often is potato chip products and snacks as a firestarter. forget newspaper light a cheetos on fire and see what happens!you might not want to put them in your childs backpack after.

Sun chips work great for this also.   
just from personal experience
Make sure you bring the right fuel for your stove or your buddies stove.     We hiked in about 3 or 4 miles into remote alaska and sure enough my boss/friend brought the wrong fuel, and we were staying overnight.   So we had grayling over a fresh wood fire.    Rather than preserved food over a colmen stove.   Personally I was happy with the grayling over the preserved food.   
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

archbishop

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 12:55 PM »
always always bring an extra pair of socks
all it takes is one time on a long hike to understand why

Hood

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 06:11 PM »
O yeah, dried up terds also start fires, especially vegetarian critter terds. Know your scat!
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

wormwigglr

« Reply #9 on: Jun 08, 2005, 09:14 AM »
i hope your kidding!!!

butterworm

« Reply #10 on: Jun 08, 2005, 10:05 AM »
i use lint from the drier, it works like a charm to start fires
try the stuff from your belly button. works great ;D

devil-man

« Reply #11 on: Jun 08, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Umm, two words:
Toilet Paper!!!

Worm Washer

« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Duct tape!  It has to be the handiest thing ever invented next to toilet paper.  Works great for preventing blisters when hiking.  Plaster a few layers on and away ya go.

flipstick

« Reply #13 on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:37 PM »
A small tarp or plastic sheeting and some rope works good as a quick quick shelter if stranded in bad weather.  These usually don't weigh much and pack fairly small.  Keeping dry is important if there is a risk of hypothermia.

archbishop

« Reply #14 on: Jul 06, 2005, 01:11 PM »
my backpack always has a homemade survival kit for at least 24 hours in it

also wiglr hes not joking dried turds work for starting fires we will have to experiment next time we are with nick and see if tossing them in the air dries them quicker ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.