MFF US Northeast > New Hampshire

Fishing CT River and Moore for first time this weekend

(1/4) > >>

steve01987:
My gf was nice enough to rent a BnB for the weekend in Monroe NH on the CT River.  I wanna get on some Pike (maybe a musky if they're in there?).  A walleye would be cool but I need to do more research on fishing those and see if I will even be able to get on any of those fishing from the shore.  Not totally equipped for this trip, currently have 12lb mono on my bass rods, will try to run some braid on there and use appropriate leader lines.  I am however bringing my 9ft surfcasting saltwater rods out as well and running 50lb mono leader lines on those.  Gonna fling some suckers out on them from the shoreline and debating whether I should float them or sink them down.  It will depend on depth of where im fishing and water current on how I approach this method.  Yes it's a bit barbaric to use saltwater rods but it would be nice to handle a pike from the shore my first time and I dont have properly rigged gear for a last minute trip. 

I will have kayaks available in Monroe on the CT and then on Saturday she rented us some Kayaks to use on the Moore (I hope I'm not gonna run into a fully or heavily iced in body of water aha..i dont think so but I'll be finding ways to fish either way).  Not crazy about pike fishing from a kayak seeing I will definitely have to rig up my bass rods a lot differently (can't bring a 9 foot surfasting saltwater rod out on the yak).  And hopefully my gf doesnt hook up to a pike on the kayak because that will be a nightmare trying to help her land/handle the fish safely).  So If I can land one from a kayak great, otherwise as far as pike go I'm hoping to access them from the shore by whipping out some large bait and either floating or sinking it.  While on the kayaks I might just bass fish with jerk baits, crank baits, spinners, and chatters and such.  Perhaps I will just focus more on bass while on the kayaks in the moore, but I'm wondering if i'll find the smallies there in 5-15ft of water of Moore this time of year or if they're not gonna sunbathing shallow like the largies would be and could perhaps be in deeper water.  Not sure if theres a lot of largies in moore as those are my most targeted fish year round.
 Would love to find some large bait in that neck of the woods but stopping at Berry's in New Durham this afternoon, they said they have 3-5in suckers and large shiners (not jumbo shiners). So that's what Im working with.  If I find/have time to find bigger bait in the Monroe/littleton area that'd be cool but I hate going to a new area I don't know well without having bait beforehand.  Hey maybe a large brown will take a sucker on the CT river when fishing with those there, who knows.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated, thanks.  As you can see I'm a novice to this landscape/bodies of water and the techniques to fish them.  This will mostly be a learning experience.  I will send pics if I get on anything decent.  It should be a fun time.

steve01987:
Oh, and I do have some pre-rigged wire leaders as well on hand.

stripernut:
I have caught pike (down in MA) on the Conn. River fishing from a canoe. I was casting a spinnerbait as I don't need to have any wire and the fish seemed to like it... I focus more on walleye in the river and this is spawning time or post-spawning, I would fish below dams and stream mouths.Good Luck!

steve01987:
Thanks for the feedback I tried everything, chatterbaits, spinners, spoons, jerkbaits, crankbaits, plastics, live shiners/suckers.  Beautiful area, the water was very cold which I'm sure didn't help me.

AquaAssassin:
Catch anything at all?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version