FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rental boat sunk at Gate 8  (Read 4384 times)

taxid

Re: Rental boat sunk at Gate 8
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2021, 03:13 PM »
I watched a Japanese family hit a submerged boulder in area 3 with a rental. Really hit it hard with the prop. Apparently the gate guy didn't notice and they didn't say anything. I wonder how that prop faired? I would't want to be the next person to use the boat.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

The Jigger

• Member of the G.O.D.S.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2021, 07:01 PM »
Might be some anti fishing group trying to have fishing totally shut down. It's a great way to do it.

SkunkLuvver

« Reply #17 on: Apr 23, 2021, 07:11 PM »
I watched a Japanese family hit a submerged boulder in area 3 with a rental. Really hit it hard with the prop. Apparently the gate guy didn't notice and they didn't say anything. I wonder how that prop faired? I would't want to be the next person to use the boat.
Years ago (30?) I remember renting a boat with my dad and we clocked one of the old stone walls that extend into the water HARD.
We limped back to dock and played it off like nothing had happened. Still have some lingering guilt over that.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Apr 23, 2021, 08:27 PM »
Might be some anti fishing group trying to have fishing totally shut down. It's a great way to do it.

Would seem like horseplay would be met with some very stern words or loss of privileges as law enforcement is all over that reservoir isn't it? Seemed like overkill to me.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #19 on: Apr 23, 2021, 08:44 PM »
Years ago (30?) I remember renting a boat with my dad and we clocked one of the old stone walls that extend into the water HARD.
We limped back to dock and played it off like nothing had happened. Still have some lingering guilt over that.

:nono: :rotflol:

scooper47

« Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2021, 06:38 AM »
Do the rental boats have new motors? Last time I was there, years ago, the motors didn't go fast enough to make waves.

lowaccord66

« Reply #21 on: Apr 24, 2021, 10:05 AM »

It happens.  I think the number one rental mistake (and I was guilty of it) is hitting the lower unit on shoals.  Way back when I was a big googan...I dont think navionics was a thing and the first few trips it seemed unavoidable.

lowaccord66

« Reply #22 on: Apr 24, 2021, 10:06 AM »
Do the rental boats have new motors? Last time I was there, years ago, the motors didn't go fast enough to make waves.

Yes a bunch of the older units were swapped with newer Honda units that were pretty good!

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2021, 12:18 PM »
It happens.  I think the number one rental mistake (and I was guilty of it) is hitting the lower unit on shoals.  Way back when I was a big googan...I dont think navionics was a thing and the first few trips it seemed unavoidable.

Very true but I've been known to snicker a little when I see an expensive powerboat hit a shoal at high speed because they were inexperienced. I wouldn't snicker at them if some of them weren't so rude to anglers in smaller boats. (Not on Quabbin of course). 

ICEHOLE

« Reply #24 on: Apr 24, 2021, 05:06 PM »

Boat we ran was really slow last week..was told, slow ones go out first
Trout, LMB, SMB, BullHeads, Lakers, Pike, Carp

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Apr 26, 2021, 11:54 AM »
Very true but I've been known to snicker a little when I see an expensive powerboat hit a shoal at high speed because they were inexperienced. I wouldn't snicker at them if some of them weren't so rude to anglers in smaller boats. (Not on Quabbin of course).

Pat and I hit one doing 35 last summer on Champlain...lucky we didn't fly out of the boat.

taxid

« Reply #26 on: Apr 26, 2021, 12:15 PM »
Or did the put the plug on the inside?

I thought they all go on the inside? Mine is on the inside.

taxid

« Reply #27 on: Apr 26, 2021, 12:18 PM »
Pat and I hit one doing 35 last summer on Champlain...lucky we didn't fly out of the boat.

At least you're not one of those ***holes that are rude to anglers, run over their lines, act like they own the lake, etc. That's the ones I snicker at. I had a lake resident that would strafe me if I anchored within 100 yards of his pier. I got his boat number etc. but CO's said they needed a name to go with the face and boat numbers. Huh? For some reason they didn't want to touch him. My guess a judge or something.

There are a couple of marl bottom shoals on a lake I used to fish with prop tracks all over them. If they had some boulders on it there would be some serious damage. If I was a jerk I'd start hauling out some rock every time I fished it.  ;D  But I'm not.

scooper47

« Reply #28 on: Apr 28, 2021, 07:00 AM »
I thought they all go on the inside? Mine is on the inside.

If you place it on the inside, water pressure will help push it out into your boat. If you place it on the outside, water pressure will hold it in place. Just be sure the handle is flipped up. You don't want it below the bottom of the boat where it could get bumped open.

fishinator

« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2021, 11:24 AM »
If you place it on the inside, water pressure will help push it out into your boat. If you place it on the outside, water pressure will hold it in place. Just be sure the handle is flipped up. You don't want it below the bottom of the boat where it could get bumped open.
Some boats arr designed for it to be on the inside . Mine is round on the inside but squared off on the outside.  It won't seal if you try to install from outside.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.