FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cutty  (Read 1032 times)

westernmas

Cutty
« on: Jun 24, 2021, 03:38 PM »
My second fishing "trip" this year, versus just a few hours of fishing, was out to Cuttyhunk Island with a few friends for 4 days of fishing and shenanigans.  We took the ferry out of New Bedford a couple of sundays ago and returned on a private vessel on Thursday.  The weather out there was substantially cooler than the 90+ degree weather we had locally.  The first two nights I tried to fish in my waders and that was a terrible choice.  The rocks, or should I say boulder fields, that we were fishing were difficult to navigate, nevermind in the dark after a few cold ones.  Needless to say i filled my waders a couple of times and froze my butt off.  The last two evenings of fishing I borrowed someones back up wetsuit, VanStaal reel and custom Lamiglas rod and hit the surf like your supposed to.  This style of fishing was very new to me but I slowly got comfortable swimming within sight of seals and figured out how to work a few different types of lures in the boulder fields.  The fish around were just under slot size with most right around 24 inches.  This stayed consistent until the last night when a push of a few bigger fish touching 30" showed up.

During the day we tended to relax, stuff our faces, nap, fish for schoolies in the harbor with fly rods or chase the tog that were abundant in a few spots.  I landed several tog one day, a first for me, and brought one home for tog nuggets.  One of the guys who went is a chef in Providence so although there's no restaurants on the island we ate extremely well.  This is an annual trip for a few of the guys so I hope to get invited again and I'll def be more prepared for the surf.  Anyone have a VanStaal they want to get rid of...or a westuit or plug bag?  Can never have enough gear I guess.

AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

SalmonAndStriper Stalker

• landlocked salmon,stripers,lake trout,trout,bass
Re: Cutty
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2021, 03:59 PM »
the Elizabeths are a beautiful place. I always enjoy fishing there from the boat or rocks. nice to sew you guys ran into fish. it has been slower there the last few years.

westernmas

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2021, 07:56 AM »
the Elizabeths are a beautiful place. I always enjoy fishing there from the boat or rocks. nice to sew you guys ran into fish. it has been slower there the last few years.

Yeah the guys that have been doing it for a few years said it was one of their better trips as far as numbers.  Lots of fishy guys there.  Most staying at our place made their own plugs.  I was gifted a little yellow pikie to try out and missed a nice blue with it.  We caught, stripers, blues, tautog and shad, on both spinning and fly gear, so I was more than pleased.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2021, 08:28 AM »
ya need a boat. the sow and the pigs produce well.  stripers fluke sea bass tog

westernmas

« Reply #4 on: Jun 29, 2021, 04:23 PM »
ya need a boat. the sow and the pigs produce well.  stripers fluke sea bass tog

Maybe one day but until then boat fish dont count.  ;)  But while we were fly fishing the rip going into the harbor one morning a guy came flying around the corner in a beautiful center console.  Just happened to be my friend's wife's boss who was "working from home" out on the island.
Instagram @Patsquatch413

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.