FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BIG LAKE  (Read 13284 times)

taxid

Re: BIG LAKE
« Reply #30 on: Jul 27, 2021, 09:21 AM »
Go figure, Last year was the best in probably 10 years and this year is the worst I can remember in 65 years???????

What was summer like last summer? Was it cooler?I can't remember.  But then I can't remember what I had for breakfast some days!

Could also be related to hatch success and survival of one or more age classes of yellow perch several years back when the size anglers seek today were hatching. I.e if a the present 10 inch yellow perch is 5 to 6 years old what was the hatch and survival rate of perch hatched in 2015 and 2016?

The following link discusses perch decline etc in Lake Michigan albeit Wisconsin waters. Lo and behold the number of egg masses recorded is a pittance in 2017 and 2018 (2015 and 2016 N/A) compared to previous years with some exceptions.

https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Fishing/lakemichigan/Yellowperch.html
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #31 on: Jul 27, 2021, 09:14 PM »
That's not an easy way to make a living. I got just a taste of it setting and pulling gill nets with the INDNR.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

redjones

« Reply #32 on: Jul 28, 2021, 09:52 AM »
Talked to guy a couple of days ago that said since they shut down the central basin for gill nets,lots of commercial guys moved to the western basin and there are nets everywhere.

Greg

RoeBoat

« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Any reports?  Going to try for the second time this year to make it up.  Bring the kids if the fish don't cooperate I'm sure the kids will enjoy the beach.  Thank you.

abishop

« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2021, 02:34 PM »
yea but regular fishermen have a limit.  der, that sounds about rite. so whats a limit for then?
Not sure what the limit is for commercial fishermen. I do remember that in the 70's you could get live fresh jumbos for 1 dollar a pound. There was a commercial fisherman back then, (think their limit was like 1'000 pounds a day. Anyway. he would put miles of nets out, and take way more than was legal. Used to get a ticket every night, pay it and go out and do it all over again the next day. He said the fine was trivial and he didn't mind paying every day. They should of impounded all his equipment after a few times. Just saying. Thought he did this thru the whole season. Maybe years.

abishop

« Reply #35 on: Aug 02, 2021, 07:14 PM »
I am hoping maybe next Monday (a week from today ), the south winds will move some of the warmer water out and bring the perch around. Keeping fingers crossed. Season is getting short.

Spooled85

« Reply #36 on: Aug 02, 2021, 07:57 PM »
I am hoping maybe next Monday (a week from today ), the south winds will move some of the warmer water out and bring the perch around. Keeping fingers crossed. Season is getting short.
What season

abishop

« Reply #37 on: Aug 03, 2021, 03:19 PM »
Not a season, just be able to catch a mess from June till September till the salmon come in.

abishop

« Reply #38 on: Aug 04, 2021, 08:20 AM »
Still a few. Enough to send the perch in deeper waters. Just my 2 cents

PEARCHEYES

« Reply #39 on: Aug 04, 2021, 02:22 PM »
Any hopefull perch reports out there 2 hr drive for me .The weather looks perfect ,just a glimour of hope that some are being caught

abishop

« Reply #40 on: Aug 05, 2021, 08:19 AM »
Haven't heard a thing. I am hoping sometime next week there will be some encouraging news. Just watching the water temps now. Time will tell.

abishop

« Reply #41 on: Aug 16, 2021, 07:33 AM »
Starting to cool down. Won't be long now. (I hope).

staubsaugen

« Reply #42 on: Aug 16, 2021, 12:05 PM »
Watching those buoy temps religiously. Hopeful for one good out later this week or early next week...

Spooled85

« Reply #43 on: Aug 16, 2021, 02:59 PM »
Maybe my money tree well bloom too  :o

abishop

« Reply #44 on: Aug 16, 2021, 05:09 PM »
Let me know when it does. Share the wealth. LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.