FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing Line  (Read 2899 times)

yoda

Fishing Line
« on: Mar 29, 2005, 11:53 AM »
I know I'm a bit early, but I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations on fishing line.  I'm looking to do some surf casting this year and I have a pole and reel, but need some line.

Please help,   Brand/lbs test

Yoda

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Fishing Line
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2005, 02:25 PM »
You are talking saltwater correct?

I've tried braid (fireline & power pro) and do not like it.........but it is a personal preference.
I myself like Mono........early season 15 lb test. Regular season 20 lb test with a mono 40lb test mono leader attached to a barrel swivel. This is on a spinning reel.
Where do you fish? and what for?

pointer103

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I do a bit of canal and surf for strippers and blues, I like to fill the spool with 12-15 lb Berkley Big Game and then as the season gets into swing and the bigger fish arrive I'll tie on about a 30 ft leader of 20 lb Big Game.
This allows you to throw the heavier plugs and get some distance. When the leader starts to show wear just cut 10 feet off and go. So you have to replace a few leaders a season.
The lighter line likes to go through the eyes better and you can still land the big fish.

Lee
Tight lines and BIG fish!

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2005, 06:30 AM »
Pointer it's funny you say this because I just saw on another site a discussion about this..........they said they used to use a real long "shock" leader but would have the mating knot break off on occasion. I guess it all depends on your knot?? Which I am no pro at........especially connecting mono to braid or smaller diameter lines to larger diameter lines........don't really want to discuss knots because I am too set in my ways and will forget anyways.
You use 15 lb test in the canal? I use a minimum of 20 lb with a 40 lb, 4 ft leader attached to a barrel swivel (which helps with line twist as well), plus, I like to use teasers and I need the swivel to attach them. If I do get snagged I only lose the 4 ft leader........and I do get snagged often as I do jig with 3 to 4 oz bucktails.
In my opinion, I think you are safe with 20lb test all around............depending on the conditions you are fishing.
My biggest suggestion, Yoda, is to make sure your rod and reel set-up is rated to handle the type of fishing you wish to do.
Plugging - 8 to 9 ft rod.........1 to 3 oz lure
Bait chunking - 10 to 11 ft rod.........2 to 4+ oz lure

I like shorter, lighter rods for plugging as you will get very tired throwing it out repeatedly.
I like a heavier, longer rod for chunking so you can achieve longer casts and handle heavier lead weights, and for keeping your line above the second wave on the beach.
Just my 2 cents........

Pointer, When we gonna fish?

yoda

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2005, 07:29 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I spend most of my summer fishing on the cape.  Usually its fresh water fishing, the ponds are awesome for smallies, trout, lmb(I think the fresh water fishing on the dcape is a secret).  This year I'd like to hit the surf for stripers while the wife catches some rays.  It's a win win situation :evil:

pointer103

« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2005, 11:37 AM »
Mugz,

Ya, I know it's sounds a little light, but I've lost little tackel in the ditch. Mostly when I chunk.
I prefer ball swivels, and use a blood knot to connect leaders, good strength and not too bulky.
I like throwing kastmasters or swimmers there, but have been know to throw everything in the box.

I will hit the salt around mid May if time allows.
Will be going to the camp in Maine first weekend in May, have to get my trout habit satisfied...

I've got a charter lined up on the 27th out of Wellfleet (15th annual). Last year we had a good day, 138 stripers in 6 hours, threw back an easy 50 that were over 36". No blues, water was still to cold.
Hoping for a repeat...

Be great to get out there with you.

Buying and old boat next week or two, I like to drag fish by the lips in the bay...

Tight lines and BIG fish,
Lee

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Lee,

I don't chunk in the canal.........too much of a pain in the arse.
Mid May will be my first time out but I may hit a secret holdover spot in the next couple weeks and keep my eyes and ears open for the herring run reports.

Good Luck on your charter.

big big rdg

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2005, 08:12 PM »
I love to use fireline for everything, saltwater and fresh...Some people hate it, I think it casts a mile and you cant beat the strengh!
FSHON!

Mugz

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:31 AM »
I don't hate fireline but it fishing at night on the beach is tough.......plus, I like the memory and stretch that mono gives you. I tried it last year and it gave me too many headaches.........

pointer103

« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2005, 06:16 PM »
I have to go with Mugz, I like the shock value that the mono gives you, not having the rod do all the work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.