FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: best lures for trolling for pike  (Read 30565 times)

WeaponsOfBassDestruction

• I Need More Cowbell!
best lures for trolling for pike
« on: Jul 11, 2007, 04:47 PM »
hey i new around here and i was wondering what everyones favorite lure for trolling for pike is. my personal favorites would have to be either the Johnson Silver Minnow or a Rapala.

thanks

WindKnots

• Tie 'em and fly 'em.
Re: best lures for trolling for pike
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2007, 08:39 PM »
Jointed Rapala, I think its like 7" long, in a perch color.  Go slow, its a great action lure. 
Run it wide open or not at all.

ULTRAlite

• 24" Bowz or Bust...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:00 PM »
"Goldie Hawn" is my go to for trolling pike - Large jointed rapala - gold in color

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Super shad rap for sure! I have every color available, but the perch color and the white with red head are my tops.

Neptune

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2007, 12:31 PM »
What kind of areas do you guys troll for pike in?  How deep do you go?

I've only dead baited, and cast lures for Pike, never trolled for them...

Good Fishing!

WeaponsOfBassDestruction

• I Need More Cowbell!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2007, 03:05 PM »
What kind of areas do you guys troll for pike in?  How deep do you go?

I've only dead baited, and cast lures for Pike, never trolled for them...

Good Fishing!
ive always found that the best areas for trolling are anywhere between 4 and 8 feet of water near lots of weeds.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Your highest consentration of pike this time of year is usually on the deep weed edge. This is where the water becomes deep enough that the weeds begin to thin rapidly. Some lakes have a steep drop offs that result in a  definite wall like weed edge. Other lakes have gradual contours and a less definite weed edge. In either case, the goal is to be on the outside of the densest weed growth but not out in the weedless depths.

Clearer lakes have a much deeper weed edge than stained lakes due to sunlight penetration. In our typical Minnesota clear glacial lakes, the deep edge is usually 12-15 feet, while a prairie lake prone to farm run off will be around 8-10 feet. Some lakes that are bog stained or part of river flowages may have no recognisable edge at all because weed growth is confined to only a few feet of water. 

Inside curves near deeper water are usually the ticket, so find them and fish them! If you don't have a GPS system to map this all out, a few marker buoys can help keep you on the edge.

Loaded questions get loaded answers. ;D

Neptune

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2007, 09:25 AM »
That's exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for guys

Thanks all!!!

Good Fishing!

plugger

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2007, 06:54 PM »
i am suprised nobody no one has said spoonplugs for trolling for pike. like skipper said you troll tight too the weedlines, if your not getting weeds hung on your lure every once in a while your lure is out of position.

start out trolling at a good pace and if you have no takers speed it up , for example if you have a 12- 14' boat with a 5hp motor in the hot summer months you would run wide open. you can trigger a pike into striking a lure when all else fails . : plugger

Flash_King

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2007, 09:01 AM »
Muskie spinners and spinnerbaits trolled slow along weedlines and  shallow drop-offs

tomy26

• Big pike :))
« Reply #10 on: Nov 06, 2007, 01:04 AM »
hello...
how far a must split off lure from the boat to get pike strike
in the fall time and spring time what speed recommend....
thanks tomy...
---- Catch & Release -----

JCaughtem

• Warning....These fish bite!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2008, 02:31 PM »
hey i new around here and i was wondering what everyones favorite lure for trolling for pike is. my personal favorites would have to be either the Johnson Silver Minnow or a Rapala.

thanks
Mepps #5 w/ no bucktail but w/ 3 inch curley tail grub then 6 inch  storm plastic pike minnow.

chimo

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2008, 02:45 PM »
The last 2 years I've had good success with supershad raps in august, perch color.  trolling 3-4 mph with the lure back 125ft.  Been trolling dropoffs, underwater points, humps, etc in 18 -35 ft of water.  I like to weave in and out from shallow to deep and then back in again.  Biggest last year was 39.5 inches with a bunch between 30 & 36 inches.  Wish I could figure them out the rest of the year.  Tried everywhere with lots of different lures but didn't catch a one trolling until august and then we hammered them.  good fishin

chimo

Jimmy

• "Fish Till Ya' Puke"
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2008, 10:05 AM »
I have grown fond of a variety of Storms' plastic swimbaits...  They are easy on the wallet, have some good solid hooks, and track sweet when trolled at a wide range of speeds...

With the plastic molded around the weighted center, they have a good 'soft' feel to them that fish seem to smack harder than spoons... 

They make tons of different types- all seem to produce Northerns (and a lot of Smallies on the side)...  The coolest Storm lure out there is a 5" baby Pike lure...  Looks just like a lil' Pike or Pickerel and has a nice hanging treble as a 'stinger'...

Storm also makes patterns that look like little Bluegill or Yellow Perch, which I assume are equally effective...  For bigger Pike and Stripers I sometimes troll big 6" Shad Storm lures with the crazy holographic eyes...

Love the plastic baits for the toothy monsters- even though they get shredded pretty quick...  But at about 4 or 5 bucks for several in a package, it's really not too bad.  You can get five Storm lures for less than one X-Rap...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light...  In the strangest of places if you look at it right..."    -J. Garcia

fishnut

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 03:36 PM »
Iv'e ALWAYS had good sucsess with 2 lures

1. orange spoon with black dots or

2. white with the red stripe down the middle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.