FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dead baiting Pike with artificials....???  (Read 5115 times)

Neptune

Dead baiting Pike with artificials....???
« on: Sep 18, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Has anyone here ever tried using any of these new artificial baits that look just like real fish to dead bait Pike?

My experience(which is just under a year) in catching Pike using dead bait lends me to believe that they see the bait before they actually smell it.  I have often had hits right after it hits the water and is sinking down under the float.  I don't believe the scent travels that fast.

I guess my point is I'm going to give it a try but would rather go with a bait that someone else has used successfully.  What would you suggest?

The real benefit I see, if this is successful, is the durability of artificial bait over real bait...

Good Fishing!

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Dead baiting Pike with artificials....???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2007, 04:32 PM »
You could try it, pike are known as sight, vibration, and motion based preditors. Pike rely on their sight to feed, that is why the action is spotty at best after dark. You could try a lunker city shaker, they have a nice profile.

Lunker City Salt Shaker 6''

I rarely still fish this time of year, the fish are aggressive and ready to chase and attack! I like Northland Reed Runners in the magnum size or Super Shad Raps from now till the lakes turn over. If the fishing is tough because of the weather, I use those salt shakers on a J-Mac jig or a jighead.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2007, 01:16 AM »
Skipper's bang on, when they are feeding an active presentation is usually successful but when they turn a bit negative due to many factors dead baiting can be the way to go. 

I have had luck deadbaiting pike in the winter with artificial lures like large Berkley salamanders, tubes and the wildeye swimbaits made by Storm in the 4" 6" sizes.
I haven't tried it yet but for really big pike the 9'' size would work.

This time of year presenting large artificials under a large slip float and tipping the hook with a chunk of smelt or other oily fish for added scent can't hurt.
The combination of sight, smell and jigging of the slip float in the waves should trigger some pike.
Good luck with them. :)

Neptune

« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2007, 02:05 PM »
I'm glad y'all don't think I'm completely crackers on this idea!  I figured as site centric as Pike are it would at least have a chance!

Once I find some baits I like I'll let y'all know if they work or not..

Good Fishing!

JCaughtem

• Warning....These fish bite!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2008, 02:33 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried using any of these new artificial baits that look just like real fish to dead bait Pike?

My experience(which is just under a year) in catching Pike using dead bait lends me to believe that they see the bait before they actually smell it.  I have often had hits right after it hits the water and is sinking down under the float.  I don't believe the scent travels that fast.

I guess my point is I'm going to give it a try but would rather go with a bait that someone else has used successfully.  What would you suggest?

The real benefit I see, if this is successful, is the durability of artificial bait over real bait...

Good Fishing!
Sluggos with pike scent does work well.

frog11

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2008, 03:29 PM »
I havent needed to try it, but I know others that do and it does work. During the hot weather in the summer if your pike fishing seems to slow down, try some ainse scent oil on your lure seems to work when nothing else will. I have a friend that gives me ainse smelling soap I cut off little chunks and put it on my hook,lol.

montanafishingr

« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Hey Neptune,
I am working on that same thought right now. This is a glider That I am going to re design to have a couple of holes drilled into the bottom with sponges glued into them for scent despensers. I am not sure yet how it will affect the action since the ice has not melted off here in Seeley yet but dont see why it would not work for what you want.

/

montanafishingr

« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2008, 01:28 AM »
Ok Neptune, Its Late. I misread your post. This isnt what you were thinking of. Your thinking more along the line of the plastics imitations right? ::)  Storm I think has some good ones. Now its time for me to quit and go to bed. Either the ice needs to get hard again or it need s to melt. I cant handle these boring weekends.
/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.