FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Check out this skinny pike!!  (Read 7113 times)

PIKE FISHERMAN

• Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based fishing.
Check out this skinny pike!!
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:34 PM »
I've caught a ton of post-spawn pike that were long and skinny, but nothing like this. It was 37.5" and weighed just over 8 lbs. He mouth was ripped as you can see in the pic. She was released to hopefully gain some weight.

Precision Angling on Youtube. Maine based bass, pike, fly fishing, brook fishing, trolling and ice fishing. Hope to see you on the water somewhere!!

Issiah

Re: Check out this skinny pike!!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:37 PM »
You aren't kidding...  that is freaky!!!

tapsboy68

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:40 PM »
i caught one last year 41" and 7 lbs, very weird looking
YEbeLL RelL!!!

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:51 PM »

Must be full of rubber baits. ::) :o ::) :o ::) :o ::) :o ;D ;D ;D
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

deadbait dave

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 02:56 PM »
probably males! :tipup:

maggot

• lil maggot on the shanty, OneShotWonder on MHF
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Man that is just weird.
Don't forget to search for slabs!

Pajns

• Ya just GOTTA Love it!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:04 PM »
Just put a BIG HAT on em...He'll look fine...... :laugh:
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught......JUST remember them being BIGGER!!

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 07:09 PM »
If all the fish are looking like that I'd bet they are all getting ready to put back on the lbs they lost during the spawn. It usually equates to  those days when you catch something every other cast in my experience... Makes you feel like your a fishing god or something.. 
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 07:30 PM »
That fish right there is the reason I totally quit believing in the weight to length ratios for pike. According to the chart, that 8lb fish should weigh around 13lbs! I caught a pike once that was 38 inches long and weighed over 16lbs too. That is an 8lb swing for fish of nearly the same length! I just get a measurement and a photo and put them back now. I have caught pike like that skinny one before, Id bet it wasn't feeding properly. :-\

the jigs up

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2011, 08:05 PM »
Sorry for resurrecting a dormant topic but I am fairly new and just discovering this part of FF.

I have a mount of a 42" Pike that barely made 11 lbs. Long and lean with a huge head. Strangely enough I caught it in September.

My friend has a 42" Pike mounted he caught icefishing and it is 26 lbs. His fish could eat my fish for dinner!! :laugh:
BORN TO FISH...FORCED TO WORK... TO PAY FOR FISHING...

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2011, 08:12 PM »
If the lake has marginal cold water habitat, big pike will go into a semi-dormant feeding mood and sulk until the lake turns over. During that time they loose a lot of weight. They can recover somewhat during other times of year but will never get the growth and bulkiness of a lake with good coldwater habitat in the summer.  You biggest pike almost always come from deep cold lakes that also support trout.

Another possibility is the fish is just old.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.