FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anti Pike Managment. Disrespect for a premier game fish.  (Read 13657 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Anti Pike Managment. Disrespect for a premier game fish.
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 07:53 PM »
It's funny, there is no Trout/Pike debate in MN.  Of course,  no-one in MN gives a rats butt about a trout. Walleye, Pike, Musky, and Crappies rule the roust there. I wish every state was just like MN.

Mike

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 09:13 PM »
I wish colorado could be more like minnesota too. We can have fantastic walleye, bass, and pike fishing when it's properly managed. We have good trout fishing in the rivers and in a few lakes. But why does every lake have to be managed for trout?

Tyler

Pikeguy

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 12:34 PM »
It's funny, there is no Trout/Pike debate in MN.  Of course,  no-one in MN gives a rats butt about a trout. Walleye, Pike, Musky, and Crappies rule the roust there. I wish every state was just like MN.

Mike

We feel the same way accross the River in WI. Gotta love it :clapping:

archbishop

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I wish every state was just like MN.

Mike

lol ill have to write that one down ;D

Pikeguy

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I wish every state was just like MN.

Mike

lol ill have to write that one down ;D

Ok, wait a minute now! I meant we feel the same way about the FISH, not about every state being like MN. LOL ;D

archbishop

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2005, 10:42 AM »
i know i just thought the way it sounded was comical didnt meen to hijack the thread but it was funny ;D

Pikeguy

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2005, 03:02 PM »
I can't beleive I didn't put 2 & 2 together there and those words actually came out of my mouth ::) :o No offence Mike  ;D

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2005, 04:43 PM »
Born in WI,  only trout native to WI are.............. TrouserTrout. ;D I love fishing for Pike, more states need to stock trout for Pike to eat to get bigger. :flex:

Mike

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2005, 09:00 PM »
Born in WI,  only trout native to WI are.............. TrouserTrout. ;D I love fishing for Pike, more states need to stock trout for Pike to eat to get bigger. :flex:

Mike

I'm with you mike, in most all waters that is. I know that the trout that live in some of the rivers would be too big, numerous, and aggressive for pike. They would be eating the pike.
But in lakes where trout can't grow, I say bring on the gators.

Tyler

grumpymoe

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 08:58 PM »
i keep seeing threads from colorado that yack about anti pike management....killer trout.......doesnt anyone really know how species interact???....pike, walleye...perch....lake trout...musky...all eventually reach a happy equilibrium....no one species dominates......if you introduce a foreign species to a particular body of water......something dominates....and another becomes forage......but everything balances out....x number of acres of water will support x lbs of fish.....FACT.....remove the small fish....and the body of water will become dominated with large fish.....remove the larger predators....and the body of water will become dominated with small predators....when mankind intrudes......everything becomes a wildcard guess....but one thing is concise.....each and every lake....stream...or creek....will eventually become balanced in some form or manner.....foreign species or not....everything will balance.......eventually....think about it.....Grump

Pikeguy

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 12:10 PM »
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Well said Grump :bowdown:

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 04:50 PM »
i keep seeing threads from colorado that yack about anti pike management....killer trout.......doesnt anyone really know how species interact???....pike, walleye...perch....lake trout...musky...all eventually reach a happy equilibrium....no one species dominates......if you introduce a foreign species to a particular body of water......something dominates....and another becomes forage......but everything balances out....x number of acres of water will support x lbs of fish.....FACT.....remove the small fish....and the body of water will become dominated with large fish.....remove the larger predators....and the body of water will become dominated with small predators....when mankind intrudes......everything becomes a wildcard guess....but one thing is concise.....each and every lake....stream...or creek....will eventually become balanced in some form or manner.....foreign species or not....everything will balance.......eventually....think about it.....Grump

Grump in Colorado the prevailing practice that fishery managers engage in is to encourage the harvest and eradication of all large predators. Be they pike, lake trout, bass, walleye, catfish, ect. They don't want anything in the water that could make a meal out of a 10" stocker cookie cutter rainbow or a kokanee salmon. They prefer stocker trout and kokanee salmon because they take way less effort to manage. They would prefer all fisheries almost to be put and take.
For this reason, they hate predators. That's why so many lakes in Colorado are horrible fisheries devoid of pretty much anything but either stocker trout, or a large population of other stunted gamefish because they remove all the predators. The lakes I fish are good fisheries pretty much because they leave them alone.

Tyler

jacksmelt

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 06:38 PM »
dont feel bad. we have muskie in n.maine that were stocked illegally that are now being targeted as a major gamefish and the state refuses to put any limit on them despite many fishermen and guides recomendations. because these fish have established themselves in previously trout only waters they are the enemy. they are there and are impossible to erradicate so why not make the best of it and make it into a premium muskie fishery? there is no where else in new england that i know of that has a muskie fishery. why not make the best of it. by the way the new state record was caught last year at 27lbs. where else in maine can you catch fish that size?

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 06:52 PM »
Well, from what I've heard the first run of pike slaughtering by USFWS and CDOW has started in colorado this year with shocking and removals and "stable isotope studies" done on the yampa. The "stable isotope studies" mean the fish are thrown up on shore.Lol. They did a few stable isotope studies last year, and everyone knows where these pike came from, and it was conclusive, but it is just an excuse to slaughter more in our only pike river in colorado >:(

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #29 on: Aug 13, 2005, 12:57 AM »
Someone fly fisherman recently caught a pike in a Colorado Lake that was nearly 50". I heard after he landed him, he beat him with an oar and stomped him to death and just left him to die.
If I would have seen that fisherman, I would have thrown him in the lake and broke his rod. Jerkwads.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.