FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best Open Water Pike Lure  (Read 25763 times)

sbfpa_Mike

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Best Open Water Pike Lure
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Mackdaddy,

As you can see,  like all the other fish,  the Pike will eat many different baits.  It is all about "search and destroy!"  Keep trying different baits and colors until you find what is working for you. Bassmaster has a great article that is in every issue about a pro fishing a small lake they have never fished before.  to get to the point,  I was and am amazed at how fast they fish and how often they change lures and change locations until they find the right pattern.

Esox

« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2004, 11:58 AM »
It really depends on the time of year. In the spring, I like suspending jerkbaits like huskyjerks and Smithwick Rogues, and soft plastic jerkbaits. In the summer smaller swimbaits like rapalas, spinnerbaits, and  Mepps bucktail spinners work. In the fall I like BIG spinners, 10" Fin-S fish soft jerkbaits (great around boats and docks), and big spoons (red/white daredevil, 5 o'Dimonds).

For colors....firetiger, perch, white and silver, silver/black, hot orange/Chart.

ButchT

« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Here's another vote for the red and white, and five-of-diamonds, daredevils. 
I make my own bucktail spinners and have a lot of good results (not luck!) on firetiger.  I also like natural brown bucktail with brass blades and bodies in clear water and all chartruese when there's a heavy algae bloom going on.
Don't overlook Redeye spoons or Rattletraps (try orange), either.  They can be dynamite on a given day!!

fishboy899

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2004, 06:11 PM »
I think if it is big and has color a pike will bite it.  There are so many things to catch them on as you can see from my other post and evryone else's here.
A 17 yr. old that is addicted already.

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2004, 09:10 PM »
I think Onemorecast is dead on.  Biggest thing with pike it to vary the retrieve.  Burn it, jerk it, stop it, etc.  Just don't throw it out and steady retrieve it.  A steady retrieve will get you lots of follow ups, but not many strikes.  My favorite technigue is to point the rod tip right at the bait as I'm retrieving, then "set the hook".  Sweep the rod tip all the way back as hard as you can and then reel up the slack.  The sweep will speed up the bait, and then as you reel up the slack the bait will stop and start to settle toward bottom.  Most of my strikes come when I've got all the slack picked back up and start reeling again.   With buzzbaits, I like to cast to the same point twice.  First time I burn the buzzbait as hard as I can.  You can almost see the steam coming off it when it gets back to the boat.  Second time run it normal speed.  Seems to rile'm up that they didn't catch it the first time, and the second time they plow it.

kero

buzzbomb

« Reply #20 on: Jul 08, 2004, 08:24 AM »
A  "go - to " selection?  Len thompson spoons 5 of diamonds, red and white, black and white for overcast days and the Original Floating Rapala.  You can put an original Rap as deep or shallow as you want with line weights but it's got to be the best top water lure around. (No bass here so I don't know about that, but for pike, yes, maybe take off some of the hooks, though.)

MarcusJ

« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2004, 08:32 PM »
red and white
five of diamonds
Reef Runners

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2004, 08:13 PM »

Don't overlook Redeye spoons or Rattletraps (try orange), either.  They can be dynamite on a given day!!

Yesterday, on a 1/8 oz. banana colored rattletrap, when I was fishing for smallies in the river, I got a 34 " 11 or 12 lb pike. (estimate on the weight). He was very fat, and oh, what a fight on 6 lb. test!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #23 on: Jun 26, 2005, 03:47 PM »
Different lures work great for different situations, bucktail jigs (black or purple) always seemed to produce.    Rattle traps seem to always catch a bunch too (years back I got my first pike casting a lure on a gold rattle trap) and have caught many since then.     Large spoons like daredevils work great too.     Never have fished stick baits too much for them, mostly have used sticks for pickerel the last few years.    I think any good tackle box should contain a couple of each different types of lures and a couple of different colors of the lures.    Great thing about pike is they do not always need to be hungry to catch them, just use something large and annoying and they hit it.
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #24 on: Jun 27, 2005, 01:50 PM »
Like everyone has said, there are countless number of lures that will catch pike. They can be very aggressive some days hitting anything that comes along or they can be a picky as a fine wine connoisseur. You have to match the size , color and retrieve to the mood of the pike. They will even vary in there reaction based on location in the country and food source. For my self I have always had good luck with a good old white twister tale grub, or the swim baits. Some of the crankbaits that rattle also can be a good item to try and on pike that don't have much fishing pressure a Len Thompson in 5 of diamond or red and white is tough to beat. We all have our fav lures and having confidence in it is part of the battle, best thing is to go out have fun and let the fish tell you what they want, if you get it they will answer you quickly. :flex: ;D

WW

JackMagnum

« Reply #25 on: Jul 02, 2005, 05:57 AM »
I think if it is big and has color a pike will bite it.  There are so many things to catch them on as you can see from my other post and evryone else's here.
Hey !!!!! Don't just think BIG !!!!!!!!
              I caught a 10lb er the other day on a 2" grub !!!! Ultralite pole what a rush.
              I had another up to the net when she shook her head and was gone. Next day the grub wouldn't work but I caught a 41 1/2''  on a Storm hot n tot  2 1/2'' model
Had another on almost as big and lost that too. The rear treble broke off one of the hooks  :'(    I have been cut off numerous times while fishing for panfish using small jigs so don't discount the small stuff. Same goes for hard water. You don't need huge stuff to catch big ones.
                                                    Jack

bigdave1018

« Reply #26 on: Jul 02, 2005, 07:26 AM »
opening day spawning pike huge black bucktails . they look like big leeches and the pike hate leeches. this fishing is NOT for fishers with heart problems. tight lines and hold your pole like its yours  ;D. did i mention chippewa bay 1000 islands area?

AirManCam

« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2005, 05:56 PM »
Its a tossup between the daredevils, or a firetiger jointed rapala. But my favorite big pipe bait would have to be a jumbo sucker, put a bobber, and stealleader on and hang onnn ;D
Iceshanty=AirManCam
MyhuntingForum=BigBuckTaker16

shrub

• It Aint Easy Being Fat and Greasy
« Reply #28 on: Jul 09, 2005, 08:49 PM »
i love the daredevils for pike, a big creek chub on the bottome with a egg sinker rigg works good to.
She said that if i go fishin one more time she was gonna leave me....whell im gonna miss her!!

Hood

« Reply #29 on: Jul 10, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Anything alive... big shiner, sucker, rat, mouse, duckling  :evil:
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.