FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fall Northerns  (Read 3898 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Fall Northerns
« on: Oct 07, 2005, 12:25 AM »
Fall is upon us now, and the big northens are getting hungry. What do you all like to use to tempt the big ones now? Also do you like to try shallow, deep?
:blink:

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

grumpymoe

Re: Fall Northerns
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2005, 07:00 AM »
one of my favorite fall tactics for northerns is actually on shore.....and shallow flats....big fat smelts....or ciscoes tail hooked and rigged on a heavy bell sinker....basically a lindy rig setup but heavier....don't break the air sac in the bait....the bait floats head up.....they hit and run just like lakers....the challenge is to avoid rigging a stinger hook and have the patience to wait out the fish until the second run....big bait....big fish....Grump

devil-man

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2005, 01:09 PM »
WW- I just posted my opinion in your other related post.

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2005, 01:53 PM »
Thanks, devil-man I checked out the other post, I agree they really are attracted to lots of vibration.:)

Grump, that a good one, I bet that one would work well also for ice fishing. When using this rig do you let the line slide through the bell sinker or do you have it fixed / set ? 8)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2005, 08:31 PM »
Pike will move back to the shallows as long as decaying weeds haven't severely lowered oxygen content in shallows and coves. If that has happened they will be shallower but on the outside of dead weeds.
The best lures to use are the usual pike baits: Spinnerbaits, big spinners, buzzbaits, jointed minnows, soft jerks, and the like.
They can be very active feeding to fatten up before winter, which in winter they tend to feed less, especially here in Colorado. Here they are on the hunt for panfish and small trout. Still they tend to be most active early in the mornings and in the evenings. Once the water falls below 50 degrees they tend to get less active and start settling into winter feeding patterns, in which you have to use deadbaits or small livebaits and be very patient.

fishuhalik

• The few, the proud, Team MN!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2006, 07:07 PM »
Big suicks or suckers.  Just posted it on a different forum.
Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off

Big Burk

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2006, 01:03 AM »
large crankbaits seem to produce well when trolled or casted by deeper weedbeds between 8-15ft of water

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.