FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513030 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #330 on: Mar 30, 2016, 05:17 PM »
Thanks,
It's not huge, but it's been a task. I should have taken pictures of the before. Just overgrown with tiger lilies. So far I've sifted and dug out two wheelbarrows of rock. The soil looks great. Nice loam. Buy I'm going to reinforce it a bit with peat, composted manure and some sand. I'd say I've got about 4 or 5 more work days to get to planting. Still have to put up the deer fence, build the gates, set up the water barrel Etc. I may have enough time.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #331 on: Mar 30, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Looks great Bob...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

boondox

« Reply #332 on: Mar 30, 2016, 06:27 PM »
awesome job rg! that was a good idea to add that hoop In there to tend to plants  one of ours had tomato's in it till it over grew its self and we could not access it. lol's

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #333 on: Mar 30, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Marigolds.......

Planted.. ;D

But today we got 8000 perennials in... :P

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #334 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:19 AM »
It's busy busy for you this time of year Dom. Wish I lived closer to your place.

My little seedling startup is doing well. Cukes came up fast. Maybe too fast. But I've only used a bit of the seed pack so I can direct sow if I want. My Thai basil, plumb, beefsteak and better boy tomatoes all sprouted along with the impatiens, pansies and alyssum. I still have a tray and a half to plant. I'll start some marigolds in some of those and a few other annuals for the flower boxes.

The way the weather looks , I won't be putting anything in the ground any time real soon. I'm gonna try to build the other bed this morning before work. Need to get it set in place so I can continue sifting. I've sure move a lot of soil around in the past couple weeks. I thought about renting a little walking backhoe, but with the ground so soggy it would have torn everything up.

I'm taking the truck to work today so I can pick up the peat, sand and compost. I want to mix them up before they settle too much. I'm gonna put weed barrier and mulch in the walkways and some pavers between the gate and compost it'll give me a place to work. I got my hands on a 55 gallon plastic drum that I'm going to use for a watering system. Too far to drag a hose and I really don't like top watering anyway. I'll set up a soaker system for the beds.

It's really fun watching it come together and knowing I can use it for many years to come.

Can't wait to put some food and flowers in the ground ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #335 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:24 AM »
Dom, I was going to ask, what do you plant in the hanging green planter bags?

I was thinking I could do one on each post of my garden but don't know what will do well in them.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #336 on: Mar 31, 2016, 04:54 AM »
Bob the wall bags have Begonias, Impatiants and Violas in them.. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #337 on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Dom, we are always looking for stuff to put into hanging planters for our deck and awning out at the lake on Erie.
It gets quite breezy, it's not in direct sunlight, and we can't water during the week.
Although my neighbor lady does try to hit them with some water about mid week sometimes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Mac

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #338 on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:52 AM »
Nothing will grow in them if there's no water..  :-\
We water ours sometimes twice a day...
If you look on line or some stores carry them but you can get battery powered self watering baskets...

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #339 on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:53 AM »
Pretty early for cucumbers Bob..      ::)

Mac Attack

« Reply #340 on: Mar 31, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Nothing will grow in them if there's no water..  :-\
We water ours sometimes twice a day...
If you look on line or some stores carry them but you can get battery powered self watering baskets...

I actually thought about designing and hooking up a sprinkler system using small aquarium tubing and a timer.
I might actually do it this year.
Water them daily over the weekend, and if the neighbor remembers to do it, and I stop by on a weeknight and hit them.....WOW!!!   :o
Big difference!!

Yea, the water helps.

But our big issue is the wind.
Get nice hanging planters and get them growing and then we get big winds and it pounds them.
Like 40-60 mph stuff right off the lake.
Hanging planters just don't put up with that.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #341 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Pretty early for cucumbers Bob..      ::)

Yeah, it is for sure. But, I was dabbling to see if stuff would start ok. Still have more than enough to do a direct sow. There's plenty of time yet.

I'll probably start some in bigger pots when the real time comes. I'll be covering the beds to speed things up.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #342 on: Mar 31, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Yeah, it is for sure. But, I was dabbling to see if stuff would start ok. Still have more than enough to do a direct sow. There's plenty of time yet.

I'll probably start some in bigger pots when the real time comes. I'll be covering the beds to speed things up.

Rg

here is a trick I learned some were ...

you got any paper towels and zip lock bags? you can do this all I do to get them to pop early is take a piece of paper towel get it soaking wet and lay it on the table and put the seed you wrote on the bag  in the paper towel roll up the wet paper towels with seeds in center then put in plastic bag with name on it ...then check them every day when there is a little root coming out of the seed peel the seed skin off with like a metal pick of some sort or fork etc... so they bloom faster then plant the part that was sticking out of the seed that part or point or root down goes down in to the soil you plan to use... we get high yield from doing this instead of just sowing seeds we start ours later cause they take off so fast...  and get high yield and number of plants form doing so....   

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #343 on: Mar 31, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Many years ago I started seeds that way.....for a certain cash crop of the time.. Worked very well. Never made any profits though. They all went up in smoke.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #344 on: Mar 31, 2016, 09:11 PM »
Many years ago I started seeds that way.....for a certain cash crop of the time.. Worked very well. Never made any profits though. They all went up in smoke.

Rg

:w00t:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.