FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513072 times)

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #420 on: Aug 09, 2016, 08:43 PM »

I tried the spice you recommended, good call. Touch strong when I use it again I'm gonna cut some spice and add a touch more water. I added 4 sliced hungarian wax peppers and 1/4 cup of sugar to a jar of sliced fridge pickles and they were really good, so I brought the quart jar to work and it was gone before lunch :)

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #421 on: Aug 10, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Its been a very busy summer but we have been staying up with the freezing and canning....
Everyone else stuff looks great.....  Lots of relish. pickles and jams....
But still have had time to yank a bunch of bass lips....    ;D

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #422 on: Aug 10, 2016, 05:12 PM »
Good looking stash Dom :thumbup_smilie:

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #423 on: Aug 10, 2016, 06:30 PM »
Wow!  Nice stash Dom.

My garden has an issue. Before I left for Maine I had a variety of tomatoes turning red and when I came back there were none, just green ones.  I immediately thought family but my wife was looking out the window and a squirrel had a whole jet star and was heading out of my yard with it.   I've dealt with deer, rabbits, groundhogs @ chipmunks and have beat them all  but I never had squirrels take tomatoes. They steal the whole thing and leave no evidence.

Can't use a gun so need to borrow my friend's crossbow.

Darn varmints.

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #424 on: Aug 10, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Dom.....  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :flex:

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #425 on: Aug 10, 2016, 08:04 PM »
Bart, get some Sweenys poison peanuts.

They're a mole bait.  But they've taken care of the chipmonks and red squirrels that were destroying my heirloom yellow stripy tomatoes. Just put out a dish or two. They'll disappear.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

boondox

« Reply #426 on: Aug 10, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Bart could drown them rats take a 5 or 6 gallon pail fill it half way with water buy some sun flower seed and layer the top of water so it looks like bucket full of seeds make a ramp that leads to it then add a few seeds along as a bread Crum trail when they jump in they drown cause the water under the seeds it works so try it before the x bow.. or the peanut idea rg said... by the way nice winter stash of food!! I leary of the peanut idea cause they will carry them off and die some were like trees and parts of the wall of homes do carefully with them also bird eat peanuts so another reason not to use them..

Mac Attack

« Reply #427 on: Aug 10, 2016, 09:24 PM »

Can't use a gun so need to borrow my friend's crossbow.

Bart, Bob's solution works, but without any real benefit.
Get a Crossman pump.
Quiet as the crossbow and affective.
And you can stew of the rodent afterwards.
Good luck.

Mac

boondox

« Reply #428 on: Aug 10, 2016, 09:49 PM »
Another good point is don't use lead pellets they tend to explode when they hit bone use bb's then all you find Is one I hear that them tree rats are good eating all I find a use for them is there tails for fly tYing  any how carefully with poisons like attack and I have said there not that good for any thing like bad for the envirement poison is..

Mac Attack

« Reply #429 on: Aug 10, 2016, 10:00 PM »
any how carefully with poisons like attack and I have said there not that good for any thing like bad for the envirement poison is..

Sometimes, reading your stuff really makes my head hurt.

But, yea, you are correct.

No poison please.
Shoot the bugger.

Then cook him.
 8)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #430 on: Aug 11, 2016, 04:45 AM »
Boon....you're e king of the one sentence post ;D

Well, not always possible to get a shot at the little thieves. They've evaded 2 sizes of havaheart traps and managed to clean off 2 types of mouse traps without so much as a footprint left behind.  Unless I want to donn tomato and zucchini camouflage and make like a leaf....there's no way I could pop them with the pellet gin.  I did trap one grey at my bird feeder. It was the one that figured out how to climb up my Weber and jump the 7' up and over to the feeder tray. Big old doe. She got a ride to the park.

The poison pellets go in a foil dish under the tomato plants they were munching. No birds were harmed in this exercise. They don't eat tomatoes and there's no food source for them to be foraging around under the plants. Maybe a sparrow.......and they can die right along with the tomato thieves for all I care. 

As for where they die......they don't live in my garage or house so I don't give a d**n where they expire....just that they do.

By the way, I love squirrel fried or stewed. I have a nice little Marlin 69A with a 2-10 on it, and a Ruger MK1 custom built target with a red dot .....just for squirrels. There's also a sweet little 20ga. SBS stashed in the safe if I don't feel particularly accurate ;D

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #431 on: Aug 11, 2016, 06:58 AM »
Lol.  I bought my wife a .177 pellet rifle years ago, and we haven't had a squirrel problem since.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #432 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I used to have a .177 Crosman Olympic. Some dirtbag stole it from my shop.

This morning's harvest.

Guess I better do some canning today ;D

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #433 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:44 AM »
Lol.  I bought my wife a .177 pellet rifle years ago, and we haven't had a squirrel problem since.   ;D

How many new windows have you bought for the neighbors?

:D

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #434 on: Aug 11, 2016, 10:02 AM »

How many new windows have you bought for the neighbors?

:D
I haven't ever even had to consider it. I've seen her shoot the eye out of a chipmunk that just peeked his head out of the wood pile at 20 paces!  ;D

Nice haul, RG. Your work's cut out for you!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.