FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513846 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #615 on: Sep 06, 2016, 05:56 PM »
Mmmmmmm, happiness in a jar.

I picked up some baby pickles from the farmers market in town on the way home today.

Gonna do up some spicy bread and butter.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Bartman44

« Reply #616 on: Sep 06, 2016, 08:53 PM »
Lookin delicious.. It's harvest time for sure. 

It's tomatillo time for us.  Wife made some green salsa and also made a green sauce that she dipped the tortillas in for our chicken enchiladas. I'm the gardener, she's the chef. Works out well.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #617 on: Sep 06, 2016, 09:02 PM »
Oh man, looks awesome!  ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #618 on: Sep 07, 2016, 04:34 AM »
You've got style Bart!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #619 on: Sep 07, 2016, 05:22 AM »
Looks real good..
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #620 on: Sep 07, 2016, 12:03 PM »
I've been following this thread all summer now and I want to thank everyone who's contributed. I've always thought about starting a garden but every spring other things take my time and another year passes without one. But I think you guys have given me the inspiration to make it a priority this coming  spring. Last weekend I dug the basic foot print (about 20'x20') down about 2 feet with the mini-ex and will be filling it in with quality soil next weekend. Do you cover your garden plots for the winter? or just rake the leaves off them? or not even worry about the leaves?
Carry on boys, much appreciated.

Mac Attack

« Reply #621 on: Sep 07, 2016, 12:24 PM »
I've been following this thread all summer now and I want to thank everyone who's contributed. I've always thought about starting a garden but every spring other things take my time and another year passes without one. But I think you guys have given me the inspiration to make it a priority this coming  spring. Last weekend I dug the basic foot print (about 20'x20') down about 2 feet with the mini-ex and will be filling it in with quality soil next weekend. Do you cover your garden plots for the winter? or just rake the leaves off them? or not even worry about the leaves?
Carry on boys, much appreciated.

Mulch the leaves and then mix them in to add to compost.

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #622 on: Sep 07, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Stelth you should start out with two 4x8 foot raised beds...
Not sure what you want to plant but you can get a great crop out of that much space.  And for a first timer its just enough to get you started..
You dug a hole ,past the humus and topsoil to probably into the eluviation layer which if you fill with loose compost/soil might just be a wet pit.  Just a thought...  
And do it now so come spring all you have to do is plant...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #623 on: Sep 07, 2016, 01:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I definitely want it to be done this fall that way come spring all that needs to be done is the planting.
The spot and size I chose came about from a previous garden plot from around 20 years ago (not mine), so basically I'm just restoring a garden that was thriving  when I took possession of the home a long time ago. I dug down until I had removed the old garden soil and will just refill so drainage should be fine.  Being a newbie, it's likely that I won't use the entire space. My wish list is... Tomato, cucumber, squash (a few types), peppers (bell and some hots), carrots, radishes, and some sort of lettuce/greens, and fresh herbs.

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #624 on: Sep 07, 2016, 01:44 PM »
I started with a 4x8 raised bed last year, and graduated to a total of three this year. I think raised beds are the way to go, covenant and pleasant to the eye. Not sure if it was the right move, but i used composite to make the beds. My thought was that it would be healthier than using pressure treated.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #625 on: Sep 07, 2016, 02:03 PM »
It's a great start for sure. Having limited space available, I put in a couple raised beds that total about 42 square feet each. I used 2x8 untreated hem/fir. They produced like crazy this year and are gearing up for a great second harvest. If it rots out it'll give me a good reason to do some digging. They show no signs of deterioration so far.

RD's advice is well worth listening to. He qualifies as a bona fide expert. He's sure helped me get going.

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #626 on: Sep 07, 2016, 02:30 PM »

I used 2x8 untreated hem/fir.

Rg

I used pressure treated.
Flavors the veggies great.

;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #627 on: Sep 07, 2016, 03:12 PM »
That explains that yellowish, greenish tinge to your complexion......and .....why your hair is gone ;)

Rg

Mac Attack

« Reply #628 on: Sep 07, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Yup

And a few other oddities too

ActiveTrapChecker

« Reply #629 on: Sep 08, 2016, 09:58 AM »
I made some hot dog sauce with the jalapenos. Basically a salsa recipe put through the blender a few times. Garlic, white onion, fresh cilantro, a variety of different tomatoes i had left over and of course jalapenos to taste. Taste was out of this world on a chip, can't wait to have them on hot dogs at camp

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.