FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Gardens anyone?  (Read 513133 times)

BLACK ICE

Re: Gardens anyone?
« Reply #1290 on: May 24, 2017, 04:09 AM »

Nice looking site Rg, I'm so far behind this year, I just tilled my wife's garden yesterday. The weather here
               has been so not spring, we generally don't plant till Memorial Day, frost could still be a reality here in the
               Adirondacks!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1291 on: May 24, 2017, 07:33 AM »
Thanks!
We're pretty much in the clear in my neck of the woods. I just started germinating some beans, squash, and snow peas. I'll be pulling the radishes this weekend to make room for that stuff. I'm probably going to put the squash and snow peas in pails and maybe another tomato or two.....or four ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1292 on: May 28, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Added a bug net to the picnic table umbrella today. My Bride doesn't like bugs in her food and I can't blame her.

Worked out really well. Not too bad for $25.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #1293 on: May 28, 2017, 07:31 PM »
Nice Bob.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1294 on: May 29, 2017, 07:25 AM »
I have a feeling the mosquitoes are gonna be horrific this year. And......it's raining ......again.....
 :-\

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1295 on: May 29, 2017, 08:47 AM »
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1296 on: May 29, 2017, 02:19 PM »
99.7 cents cheaper to be exact ;D

I don't have much standing water. They're in the grass more than anything. I'm not too keen on wholsale spraying  though. I think it would kill some really beneficial insects as well.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1297 on: May 29, 2017, 02:23 PM »
No eating outside here today...    >:(
50* foggy and raining..
After working this morning I came home and started a fire in the wood furnace....   :-\ :P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1298 on: May 29, 2017, 02:25 PM »
99.7 cents cheaper to be exact ;D

I'm not too keen on wholsale spraying  though. I think it would kill some really beneficial insects as well.

You are correct sir....   ;D
More bird houses..... ;)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1299 on: May 29, 2017, 04:16 PM »
72 and sunny with a nice breeze here. Did some. Hi men on the rotisserie and red potatoes in parchment paper on the Weber. Picked a fine plate of home grown spinach for a side.

A fine feed indeed ;D

Rg

UglyStik

« Reply #1300 on: May 29, 2017, 04:43 PM »
    You are correct sir....   ;D
More bird houses..... ;)

or bat houses. They really vacuum mosquitoes and bugs up.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1301 on: May 29, 2017, 05:26 PM »
I've thought hard about bat houses. I certainly have the capacity to build. However, the mess created by the housing is to be reckoned with.
My neighbor put one up on a tree near their house. Totally the wrong spot, height, facing the wrong direction.....obviously, no research done.

Rg

zwiggles

« Reply #1302 on: Jun 04, 2017, 07:13 PM »
I have been lurking on this thread for some time, and wanted to contribute something. I am hoping to update this thread with pictures of our garden/plants as the year goes on.

I live in NH, and we have had a slow spring with cool temps. This is afforded my father and I an opportunity to put some work into our garden. We made the beds last year by picking the sunniest spots on our property.. My cousin lives next door, and owns a landscaping company where my father is employed. This means access to equipment, and material (compost). Last year we used the compost my cousin had, and As we found out it had a lot of clay which caused poor drainage.

To remedy this we decided to add 2 yards of sand, 2 large bags of perlite, 1/2 yard of pro mix, and some different compost. The dirt seems much better now than before. I am interested to hear about what others think about this approach to solving the problem.

This weekend we put plants to dirt after all the prep work of improving the soil.

Here are a few pictures:

From close to far we have Brussels sprouts, purple cabbage, garlic, and tomatoes with our new attempt at a trellace. Finally garlic and beats finishing off the row.

Here we have broccoli, followed by three seeded rows of purple beans, carrots and Swiss chars on the far end.

In this row we have peppers, then herbs (basil, cilantro, and parsley) around the dogwood, followed by eggplant and another tomatoe cage.

Last up for the beds are some purple cabbage, summer squash & zucchini with Brussels sprouts against the house, and a trellace of peas at the far end.

We also have some cucumbers, patio tomatoes, and begonias (I think) in whiskey barrels with some petunias. The last photo is of our farmers porch where we have several flower pots, and hanging pots. My dad got the hanging plants as a bonus from my cousin. They look spectacular now and should only get better.

I do enjoy fishing the hardwater, and ice out trolling, but I do enjoy this time of year, and watching the plants grow.

boondox

« Reply #1303 on: Jun 04, 2017, 10:34 PM »

To remedy this we decided to add 2 yards of sand, 2 large bags of perlite, 1/2 yard of pro mix, and some different compost. The dirt seems much better now than before. I am interested to hear about what others think about this approach to solving the problem.

I think you did the best you could do with the situation at hand clay soil.. but will tell you the truth about them open beds your going to have tons of weeds should cover the area with a weed blocker next year  thwn throw painted gravel or wood chips on top .. for accent we do this with our boxes .. but ya you can't do much with clay soil.. and weeds  with the size beds you got  its going to be a pain in the but to weed them you will be doing this day and night to keep up..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #1304 on: Jun 05, 2017, 03:35 AM »
Looks great Zwiggles! I live in New York near Lake Ontario. Clay is everywhere. And it's been cool and a slow start to the growing season here as well. But it did get hot enough to make my first crop of radishes bolt.

Sand, compost, peat, vermiculite and perlite are all good soil amendments. I recently sent out a sample of my garden soil for testing. The results were accurate and helped me decide on what to add to which bed. Well worth the $12.

My fall garden project is a cold frame for late season greens and spring starting.

I'll have to take some pics of my gardens later. ( after the sun comes up ;D)
Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.