FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Good, the bad, and the ugly...  (Read 848 times)

Rob F.

• Quit Wishin, Go Fishing!!!
The Good, the bad, and the ugly...
« on: Jun 18, 2011, 07:33 PM »
The Good - me with my biggest so far this year, a 42" striper

The Bad - my buddy Greg bitten off by a blue fish

The Ugly - Right on Red, not Right on Green.

OTW 1:30 AM till 8:30 AM. Caught 5 keepers between 2 of us with a couple of break-offs and unbuttoned fish. At 1:30 Joppa was packed with boats so opted to try UDL with not much sucess. Back to Joppa at 5 around sunrise. Within 2 hours action picked up.Water temp 70,3 degrees on the outgoing. Even took first trip out to the mouth but didnt see any action accept for the fleet growing at mouth.  All fish caught on 10 1/2 Shankas and all released alive.

Oddfish

Re: The Good, the bad, and the ugly...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2011, 12:30 AM »
Nice fish!  You might be sad to see the yellow eyes show up but I love catching and eating those things.  The ats and I sushi them up (The trick is to eat them with in 4 hours of catching them or their oil oxideses and they taste lick chicken)

Oddfish

PDubs/NH

« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2011, 12:14 PM »
I was OTW solo at 2:00am on the flats too and there were about 1/2 doz boats and a few kayaks... there were fish busting here and there including some clearing the water... sturgeon?... I got a nice high-20"s schoolie off the bat and thought things might be hot...but the fish were not biting for me, or for anyone else judging by what I saw & heard...  Nothing throwing 9" sluggos from 2:30-5:30am.... fish stopped making noise about 3:00 as the tide turned outward.  At 5:30 I jumped over to the channel and anchored up for some chunking... night and day to the last 3 hours...I had non-stop action until I had to leave at 8:30. (Hate to leave biting fish!!  >:( ) Nothing big - just a whole lot of decent 24-27" chunky schoolies and three barely keepers at 28", 29" and 30".  But a fun day, and a throw-back to how I first fished for them on the Merrimack 10 years ago. Did see one 40"+ fish boated downstream - took the guy about 1/2hr to bring in in the ripping current!

That grounded boat looks like the river bar, but I didnt see him?   ???

PDubs/NH

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Nice fish!  You might be sad to see the yellow eyes show up but I love catching and eating those things.  The ats and I sushi them up (The trick is to eat them with in 4 hours of catching them or their oil oxideses and they taste lick chicken)

Oddfish

I agree (except the blufish sushi part  :-X).  FRESH blues are terrific. I go so far as to bleed them, fillet them, and cut the dark red oily meat off right on the boat and bag and ice the fillets. The way we like them is marinated for several hours to overnight in creamy italian dressing, so if I remember I even have that on the boat and dump that in immediately.  After marinating, carefully scrape off most of the dressing which will have some oils, etc in it, wrap teh fillets in a foil 'pillow' and onto the grill until done... melts in your mouth!

(Now blue-fin..... I'll eat that raw by the pound!!!)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.