FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Making sinkers  (Read 3965 times)

Trophy Hunter639

Making sinkers
« on: May 07, 2004, 11:00 PM »
Does anyone else make there own lead sinkers? I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on making molds that the sinker is easy to remove from the mold have tried holes in wood works alright but is a pain to get the weights out and is pretty dangerous any suggestions would be appreciated 8)

buzzbomb

Re: Making sinkers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 08:49 AM »
My friend and I are going to be making pyramid sinkers using  film cans with bondo in them.  We're pretty much tooled up now.... I'll let you know how it works.  I got the method off the 'net from a guys page on making surf casting sinkers (and just scaled it down for the 1 and 2 ouncers I want).

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 10:10 AM »
Hey I saw that too and was curious about it please do let me know how it works especially how easy or hard it is to get the sinkers out and how long the mold lasts 8)

buzzbomb

« Reply #3 on: Jul 05, 2004, 08:17 AM »
The bondo mold works great!  Cut the bottom off a coffee can and make about 10 or so at once.  Film cans are no good as you will spill occasionally and wind up with melted plastic. Vaseline sinkers and set in the bondo when it's partially set, or hold them in place for about 5 min.  The warmer it is, the quicker it'll set. Spray with pam before each pour.  We used a coleman and put a license plate over the left burner for a work surface, melting lead in a dinky cast frypan on the right.  Insert wire with a needlenose and hold for a min. then move on to the next one.  Using pam, they come out good just pulling on the wire.  Make sure they're set deep enougn so the twist isn't visible.  Works a treat! ;D

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #4 on: Jul 05, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Cool buzzbomb i was looking forward to an answer like that one. Pam doesn't splatter too bad when you pour? It should work well for lager sinkers too like 6-8 oz.

buzzbomb

« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2004, 01:05 PM »
Doesn't splatter....but wear leather work gloves and goggles anyway.  Depending on what lead you're using it sets quicker when the first couple are poured and it gets a little slaggy...you have to pour, set wire,    pour, set wire.   6-8 oz should be ok 'cause that's what the guy was doing on the original web page, wasn't he?   Maybe find a respirator (just in case)  we did it outside on the picnic table.  Have fun but be careful.  cheers, Buzzbomb ;D

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2004, 04:41 PM »
cool thanks Buzzbomb.I would have never even thought about using pam  :)

reubenpa

« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2004, 05:15 PM »
that sounds easy, but what is pam????    ???
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Reubenpa - Pam is a no-stick spray you spray into frying pans to keep food from sticking.  It's supposed to be lo-cal because you use so little.

buzzbomb - that Bondo idea sounds great, I'll have to try it myself. 

Here is a picture of my setup.  I use wheel weight leads from an auto repair place, melted in an old cast iron  kitchen pot I bought at a thrift shop.  My dipper is a fat skimmer for a gravy boat.  Wire spirals are household 14/2 wiring cut about 2 1/2" long, and the holder is a munched up Phillips head screwdriver.  For the smallest mold I use thinner wire.
      The molds are pipe caps for interior-threaded pipes and vent holes.  The smallest one is 3/4" dia, and makes about a 1/2 oz sinker.  The middle size with the cast weight is 1" dia and makes exactly a 1 oz. weight, and the largest is 1 1/4" dia, and makes a 2 oz. sinker.  I mostly make the 1 oz. size, and can make dozens in an evening.
       The lead is melted over a Coleman stove (the old pump-up kind).

buzzbomb

« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Here's the original webpage from the search 'how to make your own sinkers'  The wires are bent different because I'm only making 2 and 3 oz. and I just have a nice round eye showing on the finished lead.  http://www.wcnet.net/adc/sinker.htm     I always have trouble with the hyperlink....you may have to type it in.  Cheers, Buzzbomb

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.