FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spinning Reel Anatomy  (Read 6698 times)

Cider

Spinning Reel Anatomy
« on: May 19, 2004, 02:41 PM »
Ok, there are lots of different types of spinning reels that all are built on a basic similar design.  However, there are many to choose from on the market today.  I thought that if we were to voice our opinions on what we like in a spinning reel it might help us make easier decisions about purchasing reels and maybe intice us to try some brands that we wouldn't otherwise consider.

Personally, I use Shimano reels and I prefer rear drag over front drag for the reason that the rear drag models are easy to switch the spools out very quickly with the push of a button.  I don't like fumbling with the drag settings to change spools all the time which screws up my drag.  I also tend to think that the rear drag is a better built drag than the front, but that could just be my cloudy judgement.

Another feature that I personally like in the Shimano reels is the quickfire casting trigger.  I really love having one handed casting control over my spinning rod so much that I find it awkward to use a reel without the trigger these days.

How about number of ball bearings?  It seems like the reels are getting better and better and the prices are coming down on those models that have 5 or more bearings in them.  What is a minimum that you look for in number of ball bearings for smooth retrieves?

Gear ratios?  Is line pick-up speed important to you?  Do you have a favorite gear ratio or a minimum threshold that you won't consider reels with anything less?

Handle design?  Single paddle or double?  Or does it matter to you?

What about spool design/material?  Aluminum or graphite?  Which do you think gives you the best casting distance with the least amount of drag or resistance on the line?

How about line capacity?  What do you look for in maximum line capacity as a bare minimum?

Size of the bail important to you?  It seems that some brands have really large bails on them for faster pick up of line and others have smaller bails that don't protrude as much from the body of the reel.  I hate it when loose clothing gets caught in the bail as I am retreiving line and it causes problems.  It doesn't happen often, but when it does you usually have a pretty good backlash!  Is the size of the bail an important consideration?

Is overall weight important to you?  What size/weight reel do you pair up with what action and length spinning rod?  Or do you ignore the weight of the reel and simply go by the line weights the reel is designed for when matching it to a rod?

Does price influence your decision a lot?  I know money influences everyone, but how important is cost to you?  Would you sacrifice a key feature to save $5-10?

Finally, favorite brand reel and why?  Do some of the brands really stand out as being the best in the market or are they all making pretty good stuff and is dependent upon what models you are looking at?  Are your favorite reels model specific or brand specific?  What I mean is do you think that a certain model Okuma is just as good as a similar model Penn, Mitchell, Pflueger, or Diawa?  Or does one brand make better reels than all the others?

Let's hear some of your thoughts on these different features/aspects of today's spinning reels that are on the market?

slipbob

Re: Spinning Reel Anatomy
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Too many things too think about here I will take a picture tonight of probably the best spinning reel you can get your hands on for less than $150 and post it tommorrow.  It will answer all of the above and then some and it's in my garage right now or at least it was when I was home for lunch today.  I hope it's still there, I just got it about 2 weeks ago due to my brother finally saying just buy it and stop screwing around with cheap reels that last at most 2 seasons.  He has had his for over 3 years and they are bulletproof. 

slipbob

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 08:25 AM »
Here's my favorite reels.  Like Cider I'm a Shimano man through and through.  First we have a good mid priced reel at about 50 bucks but will last a while and is pretty well made.
[/img]
The next one here is the one I just got from Cabela's and this baby is like a Rolex.  There is no play in the action here and we are talking smooth.  Playing a walleye on this reel is an experience. 
[/img]
This other one is an old workhorse but again it's a cheaper reel under 50 bucks and has served me well but they just don't last.  Lots of play and squeaks even with regular maintenance.  The new Stradic I bought will last for many years and that's the difference with the reels over $100.  You get what you pay for.
[/img]
I don't mind the front drag which is common on the better models and what I look for is a solid feel when you turn the handle.  Other than that I don't get into too much detail but when you buy a good reel you just feel the difference immediately before you even make a cast with it.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 08:48 AM »
SlipBob - You hit the nail on the head with the Sedona and Stradic. I have atleast 20 reels from every manufacturer out there and they are two of my favorites. I have two Stradic 2000 that are about 5 years old and one is finally starting to fade(its getting a little grindy inside). Those reels have thousand upon thousands of hours on em catching eyes, smallies, steelhead, panfish, and everything in between. I used to buy 30 to 40 dolar reeels and would maybe get a year or two out of em before they junked. Joe average would probably get a lifetime out of one of those Stradics.
The Sedona is very nice also as is a couple a Diawa regal Z's that I have, both in the 50 buck range. I just purchased two differnt Pfleuger spinning reels that are super nice also and in that price range. I have had great luck with Pfleuger fly reels in the past so I gave thier spinning reels a chance and they seem great for the price also. Put one throught the ringer the other night and caught about 20 eyes including a 26 incher.

Definatly the more ball bearing the smoother the reel...
From my experience, front drags are more durable....
I dislike triggers because I prefer instant anti-reverse... Mant times when jigging or livebait fishing I take my hand off the handle and hate setting the hook and haveing the reel back up. Same fore verticle jigging with two rods in the river....

p.s. - Anyone looking for about the nicest reel for icefishing? Pick up a Sedona500. It isnt a tiny micro type but it matches up with most 24 to 28 inch outfits. The drag is by far the best I have seen on a small reel...
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

slipbob

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 08:58 AM »
Dark Cloud you catching Susqehanna eyes or Chenango eyes down there?  I used to fish behind the old Grants plaza on 17C just below the dam by the Goudy station.  That was always a good area right at dark for walleye.  I see you mention Ely Park too I like to play Hiawatha, Conklin Players and I love the layout at State park when I'm visiting home which is Endwell.  I grew up right behind Endwell Greens and play there sometimes too.  It's good to hear from people in my home area.

Dark Cloud

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 09:40 AM »
SlipBob - Those would be SuskyHanna eyes we are getting. The place you mentioned and the other two dams have been good. The whole area was great last fall from the boat also.
I am co-owner/manager/dishwasher/cook/etc, of the restaurant and bar up at Ely. The course up there is in great shape this year. It could be a ton better but being run by the city is a big handicap. When I get to golf it is usually up at Ely because it convient and a deal for me.
Where do you hang your hat these days? Im fomr Endicott and still live there. If your ever in town let me know and stop up for a burger or spiedies....
MFF Quote of the Year - \"Im done with this MORON FEST\" ; Esox V

slipbob

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 09:52 AM »
I'm 20 minutes north of Albany.  Spiedies eh.  Lupo's or Butcher Boy is where we used to get those.  My brother lives on the north side of Endicott and we are friends with some of the Russels that own Russels steakhouse across from Enjoie.  I will be back to the area sometime soon and maybe we can meet up for  some golf or a little walleye action at the river.  My brother and my dad were up at Whitney Point last week and got a few nice fat Whitney walleyes and a few big crappies.  It's not what it used to be but there are still some nice eyes at the Point.  We used to get some real nice walleye in November fishing by boat just up from Murphy's island in the big eddy and also around Hickories park too.  They really seem to stack up in the late fall in those deeper runs.  I know a lot of guys used to crush em behind Enjoie and the tricities airport too in late fall.

Cider

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 10:34 AM »
I like the Sedona reels as well.  They are faithfull reliable workhorses.  I have always sworn by Shimano.  Haven't had the money for a Stradic yet.  I spend the big bucks on my fly fishing rods/reels.  I have had a Stradic on my wish list for many years though.  It's kind of hard to go wrong with Shimano.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Well guys, I have to say I'm fussy about fishing reels. In 45yrs.+ of fishing I've owned everything from Zebco to Ambassadeur...Shimano, Daiwa, Pfleuger,Penn..even a couple of Scotts.....I've had Mitchells, Shakespears, Quantums and Fin-Nors...

In my book the 2 best production reel manufacturers are Penn and Okuma.

Penn is the simplest, most reliable reel on the market...Okumas are tanks with more ball bearings and one of the smoothest actions out there.

The only part I've ever replaced on a Penn spinning reel (I have 8) is a bail spring...I've yet to replace anything on my Okumas.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

TimC1086

« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2004, 06:57 PM »
to be honest, i personally think the emphasis on reels is overblown... in my opinion, its whats in teh water that counts. i use a terrible shakespeare reel that came as part of a combo i bought ofr 20 bucks at kmart. the rod snapped, but i kept the reel, and i hooked it up to a 15 year old abu garcia rod, and it works great. i just remember that the fish cant see the reel, so im not too worried about it. it seems that thats just me though.

bayonne

« Reply #10 on: Jul 04, 2004, 09:38 PM »
i like skirted reels over non skirted less problems and am mostly a pen or shamano user both fresh and salt the shamano bait runners in salt are hard to beat for surf fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.