FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: June....Mother Nature Dealt Some Crazy Cards  (Read 2395 times)

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
June....Mother Nature Dealt Some Crazy Cards
« on: Jul 01, 2020, 01:53 PM »
June sure was a month to play your best with the hand you were dealt.  It wasn't a normal month, but with some bobbing and weaving, there was some decent action and more than a few surprises along the  way.

Early on, flows were dropping, but nothing too out of the ordinary for the most part.  My first adventure of the month was on a bigger, well-known trout and salmon river. It's a beautiful spot.

I've done well here, but not with much consistency.  After netting a smallish brookie in the first few casts, I thought I was off the races.  My quick start didn't hold up and all the flies and lures I could chuck sparked no interest.  I hiked a ways downstream in the late afternoon and found an inviting mid-stream rock with a nice current break.  The mayfly hatches I'd hoped for finally started.  They were sparse, but enough to bring up a few sippers.  A decent drift with a Light Cahill was well-received and it was game on, just not game I expected.  No salmon or brookie, but instead a 21" smallie.  Probably could have snacked on the reel I use on my 5-weight. :laugh: Quite the brawl and a PB dry fly smallie. It was not a fluke, as I rang up 6 more smallies in the 18-20" range on the dries.  Amazing how light they sipped on top, followed by hooksets that were met with a brick wall. 

For the next outing, I set my sights on several normally reliable tailwaters, but it's hard to do much when "flows" look like this.

The good news is that I could hoof it a long way to find enough water that was still cool for a few holdovers.

I like small water and still hadn't given up on it even as the dry spell wore on.  On one outing, I traced a river all the way from its high altitude origin to its confluence with a major river.  Up high, I got to practice my marksmanship in tight quarters.  I found that sidearm casts while laying on my side worked best.  Everything beneath this leafy canopy appears green ;D

I followed the river down to its mid reaches.  The water looked great, but the action was slow.  I managed to get a few rises that led to a few browns on the 3-weight.  There were also some decent wildlife sightings, including duck families and rosy maple moths.  The 2nd mallard group was having quite a go of it in a swift stretch.....tough neighborhood to raise a family!

I followed that up with a trip to a small unstocked water that flows through a park in an almost urban setting.  Chubs and fallfish are the standard, but a few natives persist in stretches that are tight and buggy enough to discourage the typical day visitor.  In some of the darker spots, the brookies are almost black!  I had bullfrogs providing background music in a couple stretches 8) .

But by June 21st or so, 11 of the watersheds I fish had set or come close to setting record low flows for the date.  It was interesting that many of the records being being beaten or challenged only date back to 2016-2018 :o

Time to set my sights elsewhere.  A trip to the salt provided some decent light tackle jigging, but also a striper that muscled in on the action and made short work of 6 LB. test on the barnacles and kelp!

And 1 local quarry was jammed packed with smallies that are virtually all cookie cutters in the 7-11" range.  Not bad on a light flyrod.  The fish also have an interesting yellow color.  To stand at the quarry edge and look down is almost dizzying.  I've sounded it through the ice and it drops to 70 feet within about 10 feet of the bank.

With this feast or famine weather pattern, we switched to monsoons to close out the month,  Some of the waters that had just set record low flows were now setting record HIGH flows!  Strangely, some of the old records being broken only dated back to 2017 or so.  The river blowouts, made it a perfect time to hit the slop in the warm water ponds to close out the month.  This pond has an ace up its sleeve with a cold water trickle hidden in the woods at one corner.  I've seen a small native or 2 here on occasion.

I'd like to see a return to fishing normalcy in July, but adapting to whatever Ma Nature throws along is its own reward.

zwiggles

Re: June....Mother Nature Dealt Some Crazy Cards
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2020, 03:51 PM »
You covered a lot of ground, and species in this post! It was, as always, a treat to read!

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2020, 07:56 PM »
Nice Jim.  I dream of catching a smallie on the fly like that one one day.  I don't even think i've topped an 18" fly-rod smallie yet.  Bet that took a few minutes to land?

fish wayniac

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2020, 05:17 AM »
Jim, It was a dry month for sure and your photos show it. You adapted and caught some nice bass and some trout mixed in. Hopefully you won’t have to work as hard for them this July. Awesome!

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2020, 06:14 AM »
If this post does't show dedication to your obvious passion I don't know what would! Nice report great photos! Thank you for sharing!
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: Jul 02, 2020, 08:14 AM »
It was quite a bit of give and take for sure.  In those situations my biggest goal is to at least to see the fish.  Hate losing a big fight and being left to wonder what species it was!

Bet that took a few minutes to land?

Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: Jul 02, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Thank you.  Being an Outlaws fan, I like your avatar saying 8)

If this post does't show dedication to your obvious passion I don't know what would! Nice report great photos! Thank you for sharing!
Keep it safe! JDL

Darby

« Reply #7 on: Jul 02, 2020, 09:20 AM »
Great report, and fun to read.  Headed to Millinocket this weekend with the Fam,  and hopefully a little fishing in the river.  To everyone out there, have a great 4th

Steve H.

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2020, 09:38 AM »
Another great post from Jim C.!  Killer smallie on any tackle but a 5-weight and a dry fly, that's crazy!  Nice to see those fly caught trout too.  You sure know how to get into 'em!
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2020, 12:38 PM »
Hate losing a big fight and being left to wonder what species it was!

yep, been there quite a few times on the Saco

saltyshores

« Reply #10 on: Jul 03, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Great report, Jim. I always enjoy your photos and captions.

franklin fisher

« Reply #11 on: Jul 04, 2020, 06:39 AM »
Nice job Jim.

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #12 on: Jul 04, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Great report Jim. July is going to be super tricky unless we get some substantial rain! 😮

Jim C.

« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 2020, 03:32 PM »
For sure, Nick. I thought that recent rainy spell would help, but it barely made a dent in a lot of places!

July is going to be super tricky unless we get some substantial rain! 😮

NBourque

• Bruce slayer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2020, 04:21 PM »
For sure, Nick. I thought that recent rainy spell would help, but it barely made a dent in a lot of places!
Might be worth giving the salt all your attention this month haha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.