FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Playing in salt water  (Read 1409 times)

seamonkey84

Playing in salt water
« on: Jul 22, 2020, 10:35 PM »
I haven’t gone fishing in salt water in over 10 years, and I can’t remember the last striper I had caught. Well that changed today. My buddy and I had the same day off from our jobs, and he wasn’t booked to guide anyone. So we set off to get me my first striper. Got out at low tide in his boat. I mostly threw topwater poppers, but mixed it up with a jerkbait also. My buddy also threw poppers, but mostly fly fishing with a streamer. I’m totally have to remember to not do a hookset when the surface strikes happen  ::) I missed about 5 fish today, but did get two. First is this guy, forgot to measure it, just pic and release

This this guy, 26”

My buddy Jon caught 5-6 with the fly rod, but mine was the biggest   :P however, he caught the gem of the day. We were surprised by what we though was a small fish, turned out to be this 20” sea run brown

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Re: Playing in salt water
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2020, 05:50 AM »
Chi, Nice to see that you finally got on the salt. Those stripers are a lot of fun, regardless of their size.
I've caught many this year but only one keeper, which I released. The people I take out are happy, catching double digits.
That sea run brown is a pretty fish and a surprise I'm sure.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

Steve H.

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2020, 07:57 AM »
Nice!  Great brown trout.   Seeing quite a few caught this year.  Good news.
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Great looking fish!  Congrats.  It's nice to see more of the sea run browns popping up.

seamonkey84

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2020, 10:36 AM »
Yea, it was a surprise catch for sure, and a beautiful fish in person. It had a bunch of sea lice on it too. I know it’s not huge for a brown, but it was the biggest one I’ve personally seen so far.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

zwiggles

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2020, 11:07 AM »
Way to go! That looks like an awesome day out!

woodchip1

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2020, 11:37 AM »
So glad to see you catching some nice strippers, in the last two weeks I've only caught 20 keepers off shore.  I have released most of them because my freezer is nearly full and I need room for my garden produce.

seamonkey84

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2020, 01:23 PM »
So glad to see you catching some nice strippers, in the last two weeks I've only caught 20 keepers off shore.  I have released most of them because my freezer is nearly full and I need room for my garden produce.
Where’s all the pics and reports?! We were kicking ourselves for not bringing any smaller stuff to catch some bait with, or the large circle hooks that would be needed to use them. Hopefully next trip.

joefishmore

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2020, 05:26 PM »

No pictures no fish

fish wayniac

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2020, 06:52 PM »
Chi, Fishing for Stripers is a thrill . That Sea run is a Beauty . Nice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.