FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Upper St. John River - Smallmouth?  (Read 1188 times)

Smallmouth Squarepants

Upper St. John River - Smallmouth?
« on: Jul 27, 2020, 10:17 AM »
Hi all,

I was planning on heading up to the upper reaches of the St. John, either Baker or 5th St. John, to try to do some muskie fishing (I know the fish are smaller but more numerous there, more looking to cross it off my list before really trying for big ones). I've fished between St John Plt and Van Buren before and know that section has some decent (if not in great numbers) smallmouth, but I haven't heard if they've made their way into the upper river yet. Any of you come across any up there? We aren't keen on wasting a day or two just chasing smaller muskies without the option for bass, and it's a long ass haul from SoPo to Fort Kent (it's long to get to Baker/5th too, but not quite as much and at least its not all highway miles).

jacksmelt

Re: Upper St. John River - Smallmouth?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2020, 04:55 PM »
they are in glazier and beau now but i don't know if they've made it into the upper st. john, black or daaquam rivers yet. theres barely any water in the headwaters right now so they should be concentrated in the lakes. my buddies son had 30- 40 fish days and some up to 4lbs. they are in deeper water targeting the perch schools.
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2020, 07:19 AM »
Thank you bud! Guess the only thing to do is to go and try!

jacksmelt

« Reply #3 on: Jul 31, 2020, 08:51 PM »
give me a yell  when you come up and il join you. ;)
PARADISE IS A 5LB. SALMON ON A 5WT. FLYROD!!

Smallmouth Squarepants

« Reply #4 on: Aug 03, 2020, 02:08 PM »
Excellent!

I'll probably hit Glazier during my September mini vacation I usually take up there, now that I have water wheels.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.