FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: East Grand bound, loaded for Bear  (Read 1949 times)

Scalloper

• 73 lbs Atlantic Hal june 2009
East Grand bound, loaded for Bear
« on: Apr 28, 2023, 09:05 AM »
I have been fishing solo most of the part days I could get out on my home lake , Cathance and managed 52 salmon to the boat this season. Later today me and a buddy are heading to East Grand for two nights at Cowgers cabins. I have 4 dozen live smelts and a few jumbo shiners on board. This boat is so nice having the ability to plug in the areator to the boat batteries. I have almost all of my salmon and laker gear aboard, it should be a interesting trip. I must admit with the help of a few close friends, years of both commercial fishing, sport fishing and a lot of research this is the most comfortable and well rigged fishing boat I have been on. If any of my fellow MFF friends are in the area by all means stop by and chat.

Its a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job

MarkNFish

Re: East Grand bound, loaded for Bear
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2023, 11:30 AM »
Good luck!

Scalloper

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2023, 03:53 PM »

Steve H.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 08:36 AM »
Looks like your doing well up there and that's quite a fishing rig.

I'll be up the last week of May, staying at Rideouts.  I have a much smaller boat though. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Scalloper

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 11:27 AM »
I cant wait to go back. I will be going back for sure at least 1-2 weekends this month.
Good luck to you.

Steve H.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2023, 02:25 PM »
Good luck to you.

Thanks. 

Not sure if I can get live smelts up there so plan on trolling hardware and flies.  Hoping it's not too windy while I'm up there, bringing a 15' Lund with a 30hp tiller.  Plan on trolling for salmon in the mornings and casting for smallies in the afternoons, that is if the weather/winds cooperate. 
It is understood that fishing licenses, gas, bait, etc., all cost money, but try not to let a limit of trout be your only gauge for success. – Ben Nugent, (NH F&G) Regional Fisheries Biologist

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 10:34 AM »
Thanks. 

Not sure if I can get live smelts up there so plan on trolling hardware and flies.  Hoping it's not too windy while I'm up there, bringing a 15' Lund with a 30hp tiller.  Plan on trolling for salmon in the mornings and casting for smallies in the afternoons, that is if the weather/winds cooperate.

Highly suggest Big Lake for smallies, I did a guided trip with Weatherbees last year, fly fished the stream one day and then boat fished Big Lake the second day and absolutely crushed the smallies there. Stopped counting at 100 between my pops and I, we actually had to cry uncle with the guide and tell him we were all done! Amazing smallmouth fishery.

Steve H.

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 10:45 AM »
Highly suggest Big Lake for smallies, I did a guided trip with Weatherbees last year, fly fished the stream one day and then boat fished Big Lake the second day and absolutely crushed the smallies there. Stopped counting at 100 between my pops and I, we actually had to cry uncle with the guide and tell him we were all done! Amazing smallmouth fishery.

Thanks Jethro.  I'm actually in an email conversation right now with Mike at Shoreline Camps on Big Lake for a stay next year.  Thanks for the info. 

How's the average size of the bass on Big Lake?  Any numbers of fish 15" or better?  Hundreds of 12-14???

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2023, 10:05 AM »
Thanks Jethro.  I'm actually in an email conversation right now with Mike at Shoreline Camps on Big Lake for a stay next year.  Thanks for the info. 

How's the average size of the bass on Big Lake?  Any numbers of fish 15" or better?  Hundreds of 12-14???

Plenty of good ones over 15", I caught some pigs on that trip. But yes, averages were probably around 12-14 if I had to guess.

Steve H.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2023, 10:13 AM »
Plenty of good ones over 15", I caught some pigs on that trip. But yes, averages were probably around 12-14 if I had to guess.

Good info, thanks man!  Can't wait for my trip to East Grand in two weeks.  Looks like I'll be locking in Big Lake for next spring.  Great area out that way! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.