FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Platts  (Read 1643 times)

Darby

Platts
« on: Jun 13, 2023, 10:03 AM »
So me, my daughter and a buddy headed out to Platts last Saturday.  Had to get home for a graduation,  so only about 5 hours of fishing.  Did ok, ended up with 10 cusk, 8 haddock, 1 pollock,  and several endangered Cod. 

Would have done better, but every time we started catching fish, the dogfish would move in.  Couple of doubles in a row gets old quick.

Still had a great day with my daughter, hopefully many more to follow.  Thinking of hitting Cashes in July, so if anyone interested in boat budding, let me know

woodchip1

Re: Platts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2023, 04:27 PM »
Thats sounds like i used to have it out on East cod ledge. But now no more  waste of gas and money, One trip ou 20 yrs ago we use to catch a wash tub full of nice fillets but regulations have stopped that  because of allowing draggers in spawning area at wrong time .  Rod and reelers have to pay , now i fill my freezer full of white perch and yellow perch and crappies for winters fish supplies.the hell with the ocean. I only used to make one trip a year!!! with rod and reel.

Darby

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2023, 07:15 PM »
From someone that commercial fished, and ran a large headboat to Cashes and Fippenies I couldn't agree more.  Draggers are the scourge of the ocean.  Destroy the bottom and "seeds" that create the circle of life.  Watched George's turn into a wasteland.  If made hook and line the only commercial option, stocks would explode, trip expenses would drop, and it would take 10 guys getting paid what now takes 4.  Never going to happen, but eliminate draggers, and NMFS doesn't need to exist.   Not possible to destroy a fishery, if you only catch what bites a hook.....period!!

deerhunter

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2023, 07:55 AM »
gill netters aren't much better

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.