MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Jigging

Jigging for Lake Trout...

<< < (2/5) > >>

perch-man:
Jig for them with power tube jigs and a small piece of tulibee .Dead line with same outfit 60-100 ft.

putback:
I've jig/drifted lakers with a canoe for years.  Just over the edge from shallows to deep, leadhead w/sucker strip in spring. Yo-Yo deep pockets late summer. Even caught them on a #9 rapala ice jig in August. Give it a try, its fun.

BottomDweller:
you're much more effective finding fish on the fishfinder, and then (as neptune pointed out earlier) going straight upwind a certain distance, dropping anchor, and then drifting back until you are right over them again.  you want to drift away from the anchor to give the line enough angle so that it will not interfere with the fight if you hook a fish.  jigging is my go-to fishing method.  i believe that in conjuntion with the fishfinder, you are able to target the fish much more aggressively and accurately vertically jigging, as opposed to trolling, and you can go as deep as your reel will reach, where the big fish are at.  it's also the most involved, active way of catching fish, in my opinion.

jager61:
Frank:

I use my vexilar from Ice Fishing with a suction cup transducer on the transom, drop anchor when you see them and drift some to keep from getting the fish caught up on the anchor rope.  I prefer 1 oz. crippled herrings in firetiger color.  I let the jig down to the bottom and reel up, pause and jig, etc. every 5 feet.  With the Vex or similar flasher you know where they are and you can work them just like on the ice.  I catch just as many with or without chunks of bait fish.  Lot's of fun!!

Mike

clarkpygmy:
I started jigging for lakers three years ago and I never even TAKE my trolling gear out anymore...My buddies and I have caught literally HUNDREDS of lakers since we got turned on to jigging...

Tackle is very simple...  My buddies favor baitcasting gear, but I prefer a light open faced spinning rig with low stretch 6 to 10 pounds test line..

There are many lures that work, but my favorite is a 1 oz. silver diamond jig ( same as is used in salt water)... Another local favorite on NYs Finger Lakes is the Northland Buckshot Rattle spoon in 3/4 oz...  many guys use 3/4 to 1 oz. leadhead jig heads with plastic bodies such as flukes, usually in white.. Most any jigging spoon from 3/4 oz. to 1 oz.  like  Hopkins or a Kastmaster, will work...

An electric motor is helpful to maintain as close to a vertical presentation as possible...We usually fish close to the bottom in anywhere from 80 FOW to 120 FOW...

Simply drop the lure to the bottom and snap your wrist to make it " hop" and then flutter back down... Many times the trout hit it on the drop, so strikes can be subtle...If anything feels " different", set the hook, because it's probably a fish...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version