FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pouting  (Read 1494 times)

Dirt23

Pouting
« on: Jun 01, 2023, 05:33 AM »
Got out Sunday with wife left dogs at home and headed to a local pond for some pout.  Arrived at pond around dusk stuck our forked sticks in mud launched out some crawlers and we were pouting.  It has been 20 years since have been out and her first time, a couple buddy's also met us that have never been. Fish bit steady till midnight had a blast just sitting on the tailgate listening to the night.  Bonus was kept a few for dinner the next day.  I feel this is kinda a dying thing, used to drive by some of local bodies of water and every launch had a pickup with lantern going in it.  Anyone still pouting?

taxid

Re: Pouting
« Reply #1 on: Jun 01, 2023, 07:54 AM »
Used to fish a pond near Ayer, Massachusetts called Groves Pond for bullhead (horn pout). We used chicken liver for bait.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #2 on: Jun 01, 2023, 08:54 AM »
Me and my buddies do a pouting trip almost every fall. Usually September or something. I love eating those things but HATE cleaning them!

bikrsrule

« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2023, 02:37 PM »
Used to go pouting with my old friend joe, now passed, we would take his 12' rowboat with 10 to 12 ' poles to drive in the mud so the boat doesnt move, bamboo poles with squidding line to a size 1/0 hook small sinker a bout a foot above, lantern on the middle seat and sit till we got 25 or so, no limit back then some 30 yrs ago, mid  to late may was best for us..sure do miss those spring nights with ole' joe...

Johnnh

« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2023, 03:22 PM »
Been pouting for many years. Some of the guys are gone now but i still go with a couple guys.
Years ago we started a small camp fire, cooked hot dogs, fried bacon and fish filets.
We always picked up plenty of fish for the freezer.
Great tmes for all.

gbp

« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2023, 09:30 AM »
I go several times during the course of the summer.  My kids absolutely love them.  I cant keep enough in the freezer tbh.  It is the only fish that we catch that I cannot convince my kids to throw back in the water no matter how hard I try.   
chasingflags on iceshanty

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.