MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Jigging

jiggin for eyes

<< < (4/6) > >>

baitman69:
Does anyone pour their own jigs.  Have been trying they are still coming out looking like s*** not sure what I am doing wrong here.  I let them set after pouring about 10 mins is this to long? :o

crowkiller:
you need to smoke your molds with a candle and pree heat them to but not to hot or cold and you can pop them out of the mold in about 1 min. depending on how hot the mold is

OTIS:
CrowKiller has the right idea.  Light a candle and hold the mold a couple inches over the flame until you get a soot buildup in the jig cavities.  Then pour a couple test jigs without hooks until they start coming out correctly.  I usually don't wait much longer than a couple seconds before opening the mold after pouring.

Water Wolf:

--- Quote from: wavewatcher on Mar 20, 2006, 08:16 AM ---I have never jigged for eyes before.  im wondering what type of jigs and what type of jigging action.
thanks ;D

--- End quote ---

Wavewatcher jigging is a good way to catch walleye. There is a multitude of jigs styles and trailers to add to them. I would start with some basics and work from there. The shape of the jig head also determines how to use it.

The 2 types of jigs found are: Jigging heads and swimming heads.

A simple round ball head it the most common type of jig, it's great for vertical jigging.

A slow-poke would be a good example of a swimming style jig head, with the eye on the front of the head.

Jigs with internal rattles, external propellers and blades are great for getting the fish's attention, some good model can be found from Northland fishing tackle.

I like to dress them up with plastics, mostly curly tail or double tails, but minnows, leeches and worms work too.

Colors: The standard colors for jigs would be white, black, yellow, orange and chartreuse,  but the multi colored ones work to.

If you are vertical jigging try a lift fall hold type of jig, if casting try a swimming retrieve or a hoping, twitching retrieve.

Good luck with jigging. :)

WW

Shrek:
I'm fairly new to jigging, and learned a lesson this past weekend on the river below the dam, fishing walleye in slack water behind islands. Fished next to 15 - 20 other boats, we managed two nice eyes as everyone else limited out. Found out later that they were using 4 and 6 pound line and 1/4 oz jig and minnows and we had 10lb , 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs. Most times we hung up and lost minnow or could not feel bites and came up bare hooks, I'm an old saltwater fisherman and can't get myself to fish with line lighter than 10lb, but I guess this old dog is going to learn a new trick, I'm putting some 6lb on my spare spools for those light biters if I'm having a tough go next time 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version