MyFishFinder Tips and Techniques > Jigging

jiggin for eyes

<< < (2/6) > >>

OTIS:
Walleyechaser, try downsizing to 4lb mono or 2/4 fireline and a 7 foot one piece fast action rod.  On this setup those little tics you feel will be a lot easier to pick up without having to keep one hand on your line (Just another option, not trying to tell you how to fish).

walleyechaser:
I just don't know if I trust 4lb.  I don't even trust 6 it always seems to break on me.  I don't know if I'm just getting bad line or what. 

Thanks for the tip but I'll stick to keeping a finger on the line.  Had too many break offs to fish any lighter.

OTIS:
Bigred convinced me to try the Fire Line 2/4, you can't brake that stuff.  I landed a couple 15 plus pound carp with it this fall.  Great feel, the only problem is I have trouble with my knots breaking off.

jdjyoung:
 Try adding a few more twists to your knots and make sure the line gets moistened before pulling tight.

bigredfishing:

--- Quote from: OTIS on Mar 28, 2006, 02:43 PM ---Bigred convinced me to try the Fire Line 2/4, you can't brake that stuff.  I landed a couple 15 plus pound carp with it this fall.  Great feel, the only problem is I have trouble with my knots breaking off.

--- End quote ---

Otis, try the Uni-knot.  I use 6 turns, and haven't had a problem.  Also, I use a 7'6" rod with a nice light tip to protect the line.  Don't forget to check your first few inches of line often, with the line as thin as it is, I like to retie every few fish. 

This year, I am going to run one rod with 6lb and one with 4lb, and see if I loose any casting distance - If i don't, I am going to go with the 6lb for those just in case scenarios ;)

That 4lb is definitely plenty strong.  When I tried it with an 8lb mono leader, the mono broke before the braid :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version