FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Some Pike Info For Those Intersted  (Read 1322 times)

CLAMFARMER

Some Pike Info For Those Intersted
« on: Apr 16, 2018, 09:35 AM »

Spawning Habits
Pike reproduce (spawn) in the spring. They are random spawners, broadcasting their eggs and milt over vegetation or bottom debris in shallow marsh areas and in flood plains. Unlike some other fish, such as bass or bullheads, pike build no nests and give no parental care to the eggs or young. The highly adhesive eggs stick to whatever they land on. Eggs hatch after eight to 15 days and the young have to fend for themselves. Within three to four weeks, young pike develop their carnivorous habits and will even begin eating other young pike.

The pike's habit of spawning on flood plains can, at times, become a serious problem for its survival. Even slight decreases in the water level can result in the stranding and death of young. In certain areas, this factor limits the abundance of the species.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7034.html
\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

CLAMFARMER

\"It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.”<br />

Swampking89

Re: Some Pike Info For Those Intersted
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 04:31 PM »
We've had a lot of problems around here,lake Ontario and the st. Lawerance ,big changes in depths the last decade or so.too much water let out leaving the water too low,now with the new changes on the st.lawrance,too much water,big flooding last year maybe again this year.hope they get it figured out

seamonkey84

Re: Some Pike Info For Those Intersted
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Ive fish for pike a few times, But any I’ve caught in a cold water fishery we “harvested”.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.