FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bullhead  (Read 37357 times)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Bullhead
« Reply #105 on: Apr 24, 2014, 05:49 PM »
mid  to  late  may they'll  be  in the  mud
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

315stickbow

« Reply #106 on: Apr 25, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Went out last night to Big Bay, about 6 FOW. filled my livewell and a couple of buckets. Chummed with some peanut butter and cheese and started to nail them with worms and leaches.

That's a new chum. I use dog food. I'll be out tonight with some buddies.

monkeyman2269

« Reply #107 on: Apr 25, 2014, 11:18 AM »
No leeches round here this year yet so not many bullheads to be caught. They love leeches compared to the worms we have to use

deggert60

« Reply #108 on: Apr 25, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Im gonna try the peanut butter and cheese as a sandwich and chum  ;D
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

alfed

• "A good fishing day, Is just getting away awhile"
« Reply #109 on: Apr 25, 2014, 02:11 PM »
The old recipe worms have been working fine. We can sit in a pack of guys fishing and normally out catch everyone 5-1 easily. last week end, a guy gave me a half dozen leaches. they didn't come close to my worms. News print and coffee grounds. give it a try it works well. It normally starts slow and just picks up speed once the bullheads find them. It also helps to keep casting in the exact same spot. A old stand by is chickens livers tied in egg sac material to keep them on, but I havent tried them in years. I'll be filling another bucket sometime this weekend on night crawlers

315stickbow

« Reply #110 on: Apr 25, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Lol, dog food is expensive to waste like that man, just look in your fridge and find something that smells

Canned dog food from a gas station..$1. Stab holes and tie paracord to the tab. Throw her in. I just put my worms in coffee grounds. I'm curious. Gonna give her a whirl.

big_guy_13021

« Reply #111 on: Apr 25, 2014, 04:25 PM »
Coffee grounds in worms works very well

PikeHunterDan

• Aka JiggerDan
« Reply #112 on: Apr 26, 2014, 06:15 AM »
Caught 1/2 a bucket @ Goose Bay on the St Lawrence in 2 hours last night. It was very windy & it was hard to tell when I was getting a hit or I probably would have have filled the bucket.
Water temperature was 52 degrees. I was using night crawlers & meal worms that I got from Petco.

SKUNK-MASTER

« Reply #113 on: Apr 26, 2014, 01:16 PM »
anybody fish for them in black creek...over by the falls in churchville.....originally said spencerport??  hope for a reply now :P

pb brown 27"             pb walleye 23"

alfed

« Reply #114 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Got into the bullheads again last night on Cayuga Lake, It was raw, windy,and wet. I wasn't sure the gobbies were in Cayuga yet. last night answered that question. Caught a couple of those critters last night. I saw a video a few years back of gobbies attacking a bass spawning bed eating all the eggs in seconds. it can't be a good thing for Cayuga lake.

St. Lawrence River Guy

« Reply #115 on: Apr 27, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Sorry to hear the gobies have made it to your area.  I'm not a biologist but here's my experience w/them up on St. Lawrence - initially (first 3-5 years) you'll see a meaningful increase in average size of almost all fish.  Large bass love the slow, plentiful food source.  Eventually, though their impact will be felt as you see fewer and fewer small fish making it to adulthood.  This is about where we are - the big bass are HUGE (I've caught more 6lb bass in the past 2 years than my previous 30 yrs of fishing), but the numbers are starting to decline.

I tried for an hour last night for bullheads on Wellesley Island.  I've heard of lots of people catching them but the weather chased me home early.

alfed

« Reply #116 on: Apr 27, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Invasive species are taking its toll on NY state waters. Its the regulatory bodies fault. They could have mandated the dumping of ballast water prior to entering into the Shipping channels 20 years ago. I believe they have some type of program now, but its way to late to undo the damage that has been already done to the fisheries.  The video I saw looked like a swarm of piranha attacking the spawning nest, every egg eaten in seconds. it doesnt paint a rosy picture for Cayuga Lake.

eyedoktr

« Reply #117 on: Apr 27, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Gobies love bass eggs and I say let them eat all they want. There are too many bass in every body of water in NY.
Pete Lewis

fishandy

« Reply #118 on: Apr 27, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Gobies love bass eggs and I say let them eat all they want. There are too many bass in every body of water in NY.
same thing with walleye pike and pickerl  to many toothy eating panfish eating critters out there

drowndin dots

• BOAT = break out another thousand
« Reply #119 on: Apr 27, 2014, 06:33 PM »

Here is a video I made this morning. After I clean them I soak them for 20 mins. in saltwater to get the blood out then rinse them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eXrV4qPIPE

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.