FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lockport  (Read 11070 times)

SISIF

Re: Lockport
« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Reaally slowed down after 3AM, but from dark until then I got a few cats around 30", one 35" around 21lbs, and a 36.5" at 23lbs. And one huge one somehow broke the 50lb mono I use for my hooks. I guess the way I tied it against the weight, maybe the braided line cut it.

I don't know if he goes on this forum, but thank you very much to the super generous fisherman who saw that I broke my rod so straight up gave me one of his.

hoghammer

« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Nice to see a fellow angler help you out. There are still alot of good ones out there. To bad you lost the big one but thats fishin.

joel558000$

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2011, 09:29 AM »
Is going during the day just going to be a a waist of time?

SISIF

« Reply #18 on: Aug 24, 2011, 02:07 PM »
I've no idea on that one haven't tried during the day in a while. Previous years I caught plenty good cats during the day.

joel558000$

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2011, 08:40 AM »
Thanks. People say to use raw shrimp. Any advice on bait?

hoghammer

« Reply #20 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Raw shrimp with the heads on have been the ticket for me the past few years. Other guys swear buy cut bait but it all works. I have had my most productive times in the evening and overnight. If you havent fished for them in the past make sure you have the right tackle. Big heavy action rods and a good reel with 30lb test line will make it alot easier to bring in the fish and it is easier on the fish themselves.

fly-in

« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2011, 09:41 AM »
The cat fish guides are guiding during the day, so if they can do business during the day you can catch cats then.  If your in a boat just keep mobile, if you have no bites in a half hour move.

As far as bait goes, try to have a few options, frogs, cut bait, shrimp, dough, whatever you've heard works.

I personally like a medium/heavy action rod and my baitcaster has 15lb mono, I haven't had a problem bringing cats in on that. While I don't like to stress the fish too much, I also like to have to fight the fish. I have found when out with guides that they like to use heavy action rods, I assume that is because guests aren't always knowledgeable about how to work a rod, so the "keep cranking" winch method works best, that is also in a boat, it might be different from shore.

Conkey

« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:55 PM »
First season fishing for cats and what a great fight they put up, I was using a cooked shrimp ring  with tails on to keep em on the hook better. My fishing buddy and I were getting 4 to 6 pounders and one 12 pound. Great time fishing for cats. Only got 5 or 6 all day but they are worth it.

tailhunter

« Reply #23 on: Aug 26, 2011, 12:42 AM »
It has been awhile since I have fished for cats, but we used to use frogs. They worked really good for us. Dead or alive, didn't seem to matter. Shore fishing, just let the cat nibble on it, the line would slack off, then slowly tighten. We would follow the tightening line with the rod till we were at the water, then set the hook. We did catch a Burbot or two this way as well. Caught them up to lunch time with this, and late evening/night.
Is it Winter yet????

joel558000$

« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2011, 09:03 AM »
went yesterday, using shrimp and chicken liver managed 5 masters between 3 of us and 14 in total. fun fun fun. very sore arms

hoghammer

« Reply #25 on: Aug 30, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Nice. Congrats on the masters. What produced better the shrimp or livers?

joel558000$

« Reply #26 on: Aug 30, 2011, 12:21 PM »
neither really better than the other, but sometimes used together , but what we think really helped was the gulp spray. nightcrawller cent and garlic. as soon as we started spraying they started byting

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #27 on: Mar 13, 2012, 02:49 PM »
Hi guys,
I would like to try for channel cat fishing sometime in the Red River, maybe this open water season if I am lucky.

Where along the red river would you guys feel would be the best all round shore fishing spot or spots?
I don't want your secret spots, they should stay secret. ;)
I just would like a general good area to fish, if I am out that way.

Do you guys feel a guide is necessary for someone looking for cats on the Red River for the 1st time?
If a person was to hire a guide, who would you all recommend, CatDaddy Fishing guide, cateye outfitters or Cats on the Red? ???

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

Perchmister

« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2012, 06:35 PM »
well if your fishing on the red for catfish all you have to do is have the right bait and find a deep drop off or something, a guide really isn't needed  if its your first time, its nice and simple really, cast your line in with some shrimp and hang on for dear life.

Big Brother

« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2012, 12:03 PM »
Hi guys,
I would like to try for channel cat fishing sometime in the Red River, maybe this open water season if I am lucky.

Where along the red river would you guys feel would be the best all round shore fishing spot or spots?
I don't want your secret spots, they should stay secret. ;)
I just would like a general good area to fish, if I am out that way.

Do you guys feel a guide is necessary for someone looking for cats on the Red River for the 1st time?
If a person was to hire a guide, who would you all recommend, CatDaddy Fishing guide, cateye outfitters or Cats on the Red? ???

WW
PM sent

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.