FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Electric filet knife  (Read 15606 times)

Proud Papa

Electric filet knife
« on: Apr 25, 2010, 08:27 AM »
Over the years, I've read posts or talked to guys who claim an electric filet knife is the way to go.  I never thought it would make a difference and just stuck with my manual filet knife sharpening it as needed.  I finally broke down and bought one I found on sale a couple months ago.  The first time I used it I couldn't believe what a difference it made.  Much faster & cleaner than I expected.  I'm hooked and wish I had bought one years ago.  If you haven't tried one you really should. 

threeten

• I fish,therefore,I lie!
Re: Electric filet knife
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Over the years, I've read posts or talked to guys who claim an electric filet knife is the way to go.  I never thought it would make a difference and just stuck with my manual filet knife sharpening it as needed.  I finally broke down and bought one I found on sale a couple months ago.  The first time I used it I couldn't believe what a difference it made.  Much faster & cleaner than I expected.  I'm hooked and wish I had bought one years ago.  If you haven't tried one you really should. 
i could've wrote that myself a couple years ago,welcome to other side. don't know how i filleted so long without one.i had one for 10 years,in a box-in the attic,never thought about it.we were cleaning perch at my buddies place,when a nieghbor stopped in.he said we were crazy to use a knife. he went home and came back over with an electric knife.he got a later start and cleaned more than all of us.went straight home and dug it out,haven't put it down.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Buy a Hamilton Beach at Wally World for $15.00. Mine has cleaned innumerable fish and it keeps on ticking like a Timex watch. You can even carve your Thanksgiving turkey with it ;D

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bonefish

• fish or go home
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2010, 04:34 PM »
thats funny you posted this.i was cleaning a mess of blugills
today and was wondering if electric knifes are really better.
i guess i will be picking 1 up the next trip to wally world.how do you
sharpen them or do they stay sharp.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2010, 05:37 PM »
They stay pretty sharp, but I have touched mine up my diamond steel. It's very fine and a few strokes seem to be all it takes.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

bherr24

« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2010, 12:06 AM »
I started using one about 2 years ago. Love it.  I used to throw a lot of fish back simply because of the time it would take me to fillet with a regular knife, not any more.  I can zip through a big mess of crappie with the electric. Takes a little bit of time to get used to, but not much.  I was using an older american angler, but the blades had went dull and wal mart no longer carried them so i had problems finding replacements for this model. I went out and purchased the mister twister knife about a month ago and have done 3 messes of crappie with it. I actually felt like the american angler cut a little better with the good blades, but this knife isn't bad either.

Lifeguard

« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:34 AM »
Whenever I used to see adds for electric filleting knives, I thought that it was the biggest gimmick there was, and that it was all a crock.  Then a buddy and I were in a cleaning shack slaving through our limit and a guide brought in his clients fish to clean, and whipped out an electric knife.  After his first fish, I interupted him and asked him to show me that again.  He could do 2.5 fish to my one, and I'm no stranger to filleting fish.  The next week I went down to Wally World and picked myself up an electric, and have NEVER regretted it.  I don't know if I could even use a regular blade now to fillet.  This is what I picked up for $15 or $20, and it still cuts like the day I bought it (probably 15 years now)

BlueDuck

« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:41 AM »
 I have used mine on thousands of fish in the last ten years or so.  Wouldn't be without it.

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:54 AM »
My cousin introduced me to the Mr. Twister a few years back... got my own........

shark

« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:18 PM »
 I could not imagine cleaning fish like the old days ;D, I too was a nay Sayer , once I tried it fell in love with it.

Went trough a few electric knives over the years , but well worth it.

Hoosier

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:23 PM »
Becouse I dont really eat fish,I would throw them ALL back,but after seein a couple old guys usin an electric,man that looks easy and quick.So the quick flip started HOKEY SMOKES its easy its quick and let me say this.Now I clean freezem in water and give them to neighbors..  the cookies,cakes,lasagana dont stop,,ya give up a little meat with electric but its worth it to me...WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!!!

crazy man

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2010, 09:40 PM »
gosh darn it, i might have to give them gadgets a try! 

Seacat145

• A Sandy Pond Weekender
« Reply #12 on: Apr 19, 2011, 12:49 PM »
I own a Mister Twister and find that it remains a lot cooler compared to those Wally World carving knifes. Especially after cleaning two limits of panfish (the wife's and mine).

pooley

• Never Forget!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 19, 2011, 01:13 PM »
love my mister twister!!!!! ;D

take a kid fishing!official b-breaker of N.Y.R.C.

perch-hound

« Reply #14 on: Apr 21, 2011, 12:03 PM »
I purchased an American Angler many, many years ago, I replaced the blades with the kind that narrow down in the middle, to about 3/8".
They rule for perch and such, much easier to turn the corner on the initial cut!
My knife has done thousands of perch, and I mean thousands! Hasn't let me down yet!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.