FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ethanol? Hype?  (Read 11261 times)

Trakndwg

Ethanol? Hype?
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:07 PM »
I'm hearing a lot about potential long and short term damage to our outboard motors due to increased ethanol content mandated by government. Frankly alot of it sounds like hype to me but do not want to put either of my outboards at unnecessary risk. I just added some additive to one tank and plan to treat the other fuel tank too. I always run all the gas out of my 10 hp 4 stroke but I do not always do the same with the 50 hp. I'm just wondering what you guys think? What are the real risks? What precautions should we be taking? ???
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
Re: Ethanol? Hype?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I'm hearing a lot about potential long and short term damage to our outboard motors due to increased ethanol content mandated by government. Frankly alot of it sounds like hype to me but do not want to put either of my outboards at unnecessary risk. I just added some additive to one tank and plan to treat the other fuel tank too. I always run all the gas out of my 10 hp 4 stroke but I do not always do the same with the 50 hp. I'm just wondering what you guys think? What are the real risks? What precautions should we be taking? ???

you just  keep  running  it  without additive  and  see  if  it's  hype !!!!   treat you  gas   trak  i  had  to  replace a  plastic  tank  fuel pump and  carb work !!!!  i  felt  like  you  until  my  boat motor  ,lawn mower  and weed whacker  all needed   the  fuel  systems  cleaned !!!!
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishbear

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 03:17 PM »
I use Startron(available at Walmart and auto supply stores. Also have used Marine Stabil. Add one of them to every tank per instructions.
"My God, its full of Fish!"

Trakndwg

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 03:25 PM »
you just  keep  running  it  without additive  and  see  if  it's  hype !!!!   treat you  gas   trak  i  had  to  replace a  plastic  tank  fuel pump and  carb work !!!!  i  felt  like  you  until  my  boat motor  ,lawn mower  and weed whacker  all needed   the  fuel  systems  cleaned !!!!

OK trapper, will do. Sounds like I had better be pouring a lot of this stuff. I just paid $14.00 for enough to treat 720 gallons. Sounds like cheap insurance I guess. How good is the treatment? If I use it can I be sure I'm protecting my motors?
"All fishermen are liars. If they tell you they are not liars they are lying to you." --Paul Herbert (Tuna.com)

Trakndwg

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 03:27 PM »
I use Startron(available at Walmart and auto supply stores. Also have used Marine Stabil. Add one of them to every tank per instructions.
I used the Quicksilver because that is what they recommended at the marina in my Merc.s. I'll be looking for this stuff and comparing now. Thanks!

trapper2000

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 03:55 PM »
i used  the  startron  myself  i'm sure alot  of the  products  work well .....  it  cheaper then  rebuild  kids and  labor  but   it's  nice   keeping things  running to use  them when you  need them

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Is the ethanol a bigger issue in 2-strokes and carbed four strokes as opposed to injected 4 strokes?  

jeg in albany

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13 PM »
Is Startron the stuff that looks kinda like Windex?  The clear, blue stuff?

trapper2000

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 04:22 PM »
Is Startron the stuff that looks kinda like Windex?  The clear, blue stuff?

yes  it  is 

big  i'm not  sure  but i know it seems  to  be  causing  more  issues with marine  motors  but  theres a  lot  of  complants  across  the  board...in my  truck  i  have  to  clean  my  fuel  rail  every  few  months  now, i  don't know if  thats  from  the  fuel

skunkedbywalleye

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I think FM mentioned it earlier...I saw Lucas has an ethanol trt out as well at ace hardware(I believe). I am going to try them after the startron runs out. Lucas usually has great products so you never know??

fishbear

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Is the ethanol is a bigger issue in 2-strokes and carbed four strokes as opposed to injected 4 strokes?   
I read reports that the ethanol was attacking some plastic parts in the system. If so, I'd be even more careful to be sure I used enough additive in the gas for expensive 4-Strokes. These additives seem expensive, but for the amount you use per tank they are more than worth it for insurance.
"My God, its full of Fish!"

draketrutta

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 05:57 PM »
Our govt officials should be HUNG, then SHOT over this ethanol BS.

Utilize the greediest crop on earth (CORN) that requires the most water and fertilizer, and at the same time use Corn for Fuel as an excuse to bump up food prices (I'm sure you noticed the hyper-inflation at the grocery store).

Switchgrass would work just as well, grows on marginal land, requires no fertilizer, and would not impact food prices.

Hemp would work too - but the govt will have to pull all the remaining copies of the Reefer Madness Movie they distributed.

Ethanol is a solvent - it will eat plastic parts - on boats and cars...

WHAT A FLIPPIN JOKE...
<'}}}}>><  *** just say NO to DPviaBAJwithADK-QTIP *** <>>{{{{'>

maineman

• Brown trout
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 06:24 PM »
I have and use regularly a 45 hp merc, 5 hp Merc, 6hp Evinrude, 400 cc Outlander ATV, 500 cc Polaris ATV, 1000 cc Yamaha sled and a 500 cc Arctic cat, and eskimo auger and various lawn equiptment. The oldest of this stuff is 42 years old. I ADD nothing to the gas during the season in which I am using it, but add Seafoam to the gas during the off season.. I run it long enough to get it to the carbs, then shut them off. Some equipment is drained of fuel, but not all... Knock on wood, but I have never had a problem and ALL engines run extremely well.. My 2 cents.

floatinwoody

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 06:40 PM »
Our govt officials should be HUNG, then SHOT over this ethanol BS.

Utilize the greediest crop on earth (CORN) that requires the most water and fertilizer, and at the same time use Corn for Fuel as an excuse to bump up food prices (I'm sure you noticed the hyper-inflation at the grocery store).

Switchgrass would work just as well, grows on marginal land, requires no fertilizer, and would not impact food prices.

Hemp would work too - but the govt will have to pull all the remaining copies of the Reefer Madness Movie they distributed.

I havent read into the switchgrass thing, but you are right on . Nice post.

Ethanol is a solvent - it will eat plastic parts - on boats and cars...

WHAT A FLIPPIN JOKE...

1fish@atime

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 07:06 PM »
The reason it has been effecting outboards more is the fact that it attracts moisture.  Not a good environment for that on a boat.
Use marine stabil in everything, so far no major issues.
But have had to clean the exhaust port on the lawn mower twice in three years...might just be that motor, but really weird..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.