FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: GPS/Sonar - DI & SI  (Read 8347 times)

ZeroGravity

GPS/Sonar - DI & SI
« on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:39 AM »
Hey;

I have a 2005 Lund 1700 Fisherman with a 75hp Honda and 8hp kicker.  I typically use the setup in the spring to fish (troll) lakes in Maine like Sebago and Moosehead, at times a few select others (time permitting!).  I purchased the boat used with a Hummingbird DX200 fishfinder.  The unit works okay, but has it limitations.

I have been saving my cabelas points on my visa to the point where I will be able to purchase an upgraded fishfinder.  I am planning to go with a combination GPS/Sonar unit that is compatible with the various depth map software on the market.

I was initially looking at the Hummingbird 597 ci HD with the down imagery.  The few reviews I have read on this unit appear to be mixed satisfaction.

I also see many other units for a few more $.$$ that have both side imagery and down imagery.  Just curious what others have for similar units and what your experience has been with the unit?  I do not do any still fishing, just troll, has the use of side imagery and/or down imagery improved your fishing when trolling?

Thanks for the feedback!

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

OTIS

Re: GPS/Sonar - DI & SI
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I have a Lowrance 334c and the Lowrance map card (LakeMaster Pro maybe?).  It's been a great unit.  I've use it 90% of the time on Oneida Lake in central New York, but have also used the unit up in the Adirondacks on 6th and 7th lakes.  I bought the unit new and have had it for 5 years.  I absolutely love it.  It also came with a ice pack so I can/do use it as my primary ice fishing unit.

If I were to get a new unit today, I would probably go with a Lowrance and a Navionics Map card.  Navionics seems to have more detailed maps.

Hope this helps.
'If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -- Ronald Reagan

'Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.' -- Ronald Reagan

ZeroGravity

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 06:44 AM »
I was initially considering the Hummingbird 597 ci HD w/DI.  A salesman at a local store talked it up pretty good.  But looking at the reviews out there, I was not impressed and figured I would steer clear of this model.

I just came across a sales flyer where the Hummingbird 798 ci HD w/SI is on sale.  Regularly $1,200 on sale for $759.99.  This is the model that does NOT have the preloaded maps.  Customer reviews are all extremely positive.  I was able to get to Hummingbird's web site and pull down the owners manual to gain a better understanding of what it does and how it works.  So far I am pretty impressed.  And with my credit card rewards and g/cs from the holidays, I will probably walk out with if for less than $200 cash out of my pocket.  I will still need to buy the maps, but that can come later!

Anybody have any additional feedback on the HB 798?

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

tracker 1

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 04:49 PM »
  I did the same thing saved up points from cabela and bought a HDS7 with navionics platnium card.I waited until some of the sotware problems were fixed and have not had a problem. I know somebody that did buy the software and the extra transducer that you will need for the side view so far they do not think it was worth it. I believe you can add the side scanner later if you want, I have not seen a reason to do it.  I have Lowrance hand held GPS and liked it so I decided to stick with something that I am familiar with.

kingfisher22

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 05:18 PM »
I don't know about the Humminbird 798, but I bought the 597 ci hd di model and would give it mixed reviews.  On Oneida and Ontario I really liked it, marked fish well and gave me a good view of the bottom.  The down image was helpful in identifying fish right on the bottom from stuff that looked like bottom in the conventional view.  However, in the fall I moved my fishing to Seneca Lake which is extremely deep (600 + feet) and has very severe dropoffs.  This lake is also very clean-visibilty is frequently as much 30' in the winter.  Anyway, on this lake I have found that the unit frequently loses bottom and the scale jumps all over the place.  Putting the lower limit on a manual setting didn't help either.  I don't know if it is the extreme sharp drop offs or the bottom composition, but I am definitely dissappointed with it on this body of water.  My Lowrance X67c which I still have mounted doesn't have nearly as much trouble keeping the bottom locked.

I'm sure there may be a few manual settings I could tweak, but I'm not a total electronics moron.  It is definitely a shortcoming of the unit.

ZeroGravity

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:29 AM »
kingfisher22 -

Thanks for the feedback on the HB 597....  It further validates that I will probably stay away from that model.

If everything works out to plan, I should be placing an order for the HB 798 in the next week or two!

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

Lifeguard

« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:44 PM »
DEFINATELY spend the extra $$$ and get the SI, no better investment for a troller.  I've got the 998c SI and love it.  This video might answer a few questions about what you are seeing on the display:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xe6pLPdMKc

Definately helps with the fishing, shows you structure that you might only be 20 yds from, circle around and make a pass over it and see if there's fish holding around it.  After the SI finder, you should look at an ipilot trolling motor too.  If I find a path that produces several fish I'll set the course in the trolling motor and then have it keep retracing the path.  Don't have to steer or anything, just fish.  If you hook one, just hit hold position and it'll hold you where you are, don't have to worry about the wind taking you into rocks or off course, then once you land it, keep going.

An iPilot trolling motor and SI finder, what fishing dreams are made of!!

ZeroGravity

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply Lifeguard;

I ordered the HB 798 last week.  i should have it by the end of the month!  I have been looking at numerous posting on youtube and will definitely take a look at the link you provided as well.

I will check out the iPilot as well.  I don't know if it will work with the unit and boat that I have, but definitely worth checking out.

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

Lifeguard

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Congrats on the new finder!!  You'll love the side imaging, it really is incredible.  I don't know what your boat is, but it'll have to be pretty big for the 101 lb Terrova iPilot not to push it around.

http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=19695&pc=1970

Here's a couple places for you to check out for your finder too.

http://forums.sideimagingsoft.com/index.php

http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/

ZeroGravity

« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Lifeguard:

Just did some checking on the iPilot....  I wasn't really paying attention to your post until I did a quick search....  My boat is an '05 Lund 1700 Fisherman with a 75 hp Honda four stroke and I have an 8 hp Honda four stroke kicker (the kicker has electric, steering, trim/tilt, and shift/throttle console at the captain's chair).  Not sure I want to go the route of an electric trolling motor for the benefit of an iPilot.....

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

Lifeguard

« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Wow, sounds like you put some serious work into your kicker, nice setup.  For me, I'm still using my 115hp 4-stroke so I'm gonna go with the ipilot.

ZeroGravity

« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:29 AM »
Wow, sounds like you put some serious work into your kicker, nice setup.  For me, I'm still using my 115hp 4-stroke so I'm gonna go with the ipilot.

I can't take credit for the setup...  I purchased it used in 2010 with the kicker already setup this way....  It was one of the major reasons I purchased the boat....

B/T/W - Where are you located and what waters do you typically fish?  I fish in Maine.  I typically fish Sebago and Moosehead Lakes.  Two of the larger lakes in the state.  I have a few other smaller lake I hit on occasion...  But once fly fishing kicks in, I am splitting my time and the river fishing becomes the priority......

Thanks and have a great day!

- ZG -

Lifeguard

« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2012, 08:24 AM »
I live in The Pas, Manitoba, Canada, a little ways away from you.  I fish the Saskatchewan River, Clearwater lake, Rocky lake, Barbie lake, and Landry lake.  Looking to expand into the Bakers Narrows and Sherridon areas too.  Lot's of walleye, pike, lake trout, bass, rainbow trout and brookies.  If you ever head up this way, let me know, I'll take you out!!  (Fishing that is!!)  :D

ZeroGravity

« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2012, 06:41 AM »
Wow...  That's only 2,100 miles away.....  I have been out to Yellowstone National Park a couple of time (WY, ID, & MT) to do some fly fishing but for some reason Canada has eluded me!  Thank you very much for the offer to take me fishing....  & right back at ya!  Looking at MapQuest, you have a lot of water around you to fish.....  Probably the same problem I have; So many places to fish and so little time to do it!  We target brook trout, landlocked salmon, and lake trout (we call them togue).  We have a few waters that have been stocked with browns and rainbows also....

Have an awesome day!

- ZG -

duckey

« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Zero Gravity

I run a 2003 Lund Alaskan 1800ss in fresh and saltwater (salt water primarily) and have a garmin 188C Plotter Sounder.  It is an awesome unit.  I have many other Garmin units as well.  The 188C has a lot of features on it.  I am not sure they make this model anymore.  Garmin is spendy but worth it in my opinion.  Garmin now offers units that can take a chart card that covers wider ranges i.e. east, west, gulf coasts as opposed to geographic areas that they only offered up until 2011.  I run split screen a lot (plotter/sounder).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.