FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Re-waterproofing help  (Read 3201 times)

TheDL

Re-waterproofing help
« on: May 03, 2012, 10:04 AM »
I have a nylon-type breathable rain suit that I really like and it's less than 1 year old.  Recently I've noticed it doesn't really repel water anymore.  I haven't washed it or anything, but it seems to have lost it's water-proof-ness  ???

I was thinking of buying some kind of water-proofing spray for it, but don't want to ruin the zippers and breath-able qualities...anyone ever try this before?
Any tips on a good spray for it?
tight lines....

00Fisher00

Re: Re-waterproofing help
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34 AM »
I do know that the stuff they sell for sneakers works great for waterproofing, breathability however, dont know how much that would suffer. Might be a comprimise. Might work great! If you try that route let us know!

TheDL

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Thanks Fisher.  I searched the web and called some out-door stores and actually learned quite a bit.  I'm glad I didn't just spray silicone 'tent' waterproofing stuff on it - apparently that would've destroyed the breatability.  Also learned that for some reason a breatable rain suit will lose water-proof qualities the dirtier it gets  ???  Guess I should stop wiping fish slime on it. 

Anyway, I did find a good solution - a product line called "nik-wax".  It's a line of fabric care treatments, specifically I got the "tek-wash" to clean/prep and the "tx.direct spray on"  hopefully it'll work as good as it says.
tight lines....

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 07:37 AM »
I use the Nix products on my ice fish suit and the results are Fantastic, I washed my suit and then applied the waterproofer. The following weekend at the Team NH IS get together, it rained all day And the suit stayed Completely dry even after 2 hard downpours !

TheDL

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 07:43 AM »
right on, good to hear.  I washed last night, spray on today - then a rainy walleye opener at 12:01 am tonite....glad to hear this stuff works.
tight lines....

TheDL

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 11:01 AM »
Fished through a down-pore this weekend, stayed bone dry.  Suit is good as new!  Big thumbs up for the Nik-wax porduct line!
tight lines....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.