FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Suggestions for a big-game rod and reel?  (Read 4115 times)

TheDL

Suggestions for a big-game rod and reel?
« on: May 23, 2012, 02:43 PM »
Up untill now I've mostly fished smaller game like bass, panfish, back-lake walleye - so my rod and reels are all in the 6'6"-7ft medium 1/4-1/2oz lure weight catagory, all spinning. I've been tying into some bigger pike and would like to start targetting the big pike and possibly musky on the st lawrence with some appropriate sized tackle. I need something I can use to throw big baits around and tame big-fish effectively. I know most guys go for bait casting, but I prefer spinning. I'd like to keep the costs down for my first big-game setup, any suggestions?
tight lines....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
Re: Suggestions for a big-game rod and reel?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 10:28 AM »
There is a real good reason most guys throw big stuff with a bait caster; it's about a thousand times easier. If you are going to throw bigger lures with braid on a spinning reel, you are gonna wreck your line finger pretty bad. I've used my senko (spinning) rod to throw a big spinner bait in a pinch once, my pointer finger was bleeding in short order.

Most guys go way overkill with pike rods. Heavy bass stuff is all you need for the most part. The only time I use musky gear on pike is the late fall right before turn over. I use super shad raps, buck tails, believers, grandmas, and jakes. You need a stiff rod for that stuff. For the rest of the time, a good bass flippin or pitching rod works really great. Those rods a WAY overbuilt for bass because they are used to rip them out of the slop before they can bury themselves in it.

The St. Croix Bass and Musky Mojo series rods can be found for $100-150 depending on what you get. This is a real bargain in my opinion because they outperform everything else I have fished in that price range by a long shot.  Cheaper rods can be found that will work, but you will not regret buying quality gear.

The transition from spinning to casting gear can be frustrating for some guys because they are used to cranking left, and casting gear is mostly on the right. A quick fix for this is to buy a lefty casting reel. I am right handed and only fish lefty reels, it feels much more natural to me. I hate switching hands! You will feel the quality very quickly in a casting reel. I've found the Shimano Curado reels to be bulletproof and flawless in every way.

Goatskin

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 12:14 PM »
There is a real good reason most guys throw big stuff with a bait caster; it's about a thousand times easier. If you are going to throw bigger lures with braid on a spinning reel, you are gonna wreck your line finger pretty bad. I've used my senko (spinning) rod to throw a big spinner bait in a pinch once, my pointer finger was bleeding in short order.

Most guys go way overkill with pike rods. Heavy bass stuff is all you need for the most part. The only time I use musky gear on pike is the late fall right before turn over. I use super shad raps, buck tails, believers, grandmas, and jakes. You need a stiff rod for that stuff. For the rest of the time, a good bass flippin or pitching rod works really great. Those rods a WAY overbuilt for bass because they are used to rip them out of the slop before they can bury themselves in it.

The St. Croix Bass and Musky Mojo series rods can be found for $100-150 depending on what you get. This is a real bargain in my opinion because they outperform everything else I have fished in that price range by a long shot.  Cheaper rods can be found that will work, but you will not regret buying quality gear.

The transition from spinning to casting gear can be frustrating for some guys because they are used to cranking left, and casting gear is mostly on the right. A quick fix for this is to buy a lefty casting reel. I am right handed and only fish lefty reels, it feels much more natural to me. I hate switching hands! You will feel the quality very quickly in a casting reel. I've found the Shimano Curado reels to be bulletproof and flawless in every way.

X2 on everything Skipper said and the Curado reels. I'm the same way and I have a 201E Curado paired with a St. Croix Premier 7'6" heavy casting rod. It can handle up to 1 and a half ounce lures and I use it for everything from bucktails for musky on the Grasse River to 1/2 ounce spinerbaits for bass on the flats on the St. Lawrence. You cant go wrong with that combo. But before you buy a left or right handed reel go to a local shop that sells baitcasters and play around to figure out which hand you prefer.

TheDL

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 03:20 PM »
Great tips guys, thanks. Exactly the info i was seeking, and im already looking at the st croix mojo musky rods paired with the curados.
tight lines....

nightbird

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2012, 11:36 PM »
DL didn't ask, but what line would you experienced guys recommend he use on his new outfit?

TheDL

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2012, 07:20 AM »
good question nightbird!  I'm still shopping for the rod and reel, but I keep coming back to the mojo musky rods and curado 301 reels.  For line, I intened on using a heavy braided line, proababy 50-100lb. 
tight lines....

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2012, 08:54 PM »
I use 20-30lb braid on most of my stuff. Maximum drag on the 300-301 Curado is only 15lbs anyway. You can get more line on your reel, your lures will run deeper, and it will cast better too. I challenge anyone to break 30lb braid with their hands, you will bleed long before it breaks!! TOUGH STUFF!! The only weakness of braid is pike/musky teeth and zebra mussels. If either are a factor, leaders of fluoro or steel must be used. Heavy braid wont save you, it cuts all the same.

I use Spiderwire Stealth, it works well for me.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.