FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: OIL SPILL Please Help  (Read 10885 times)

troutaddict33

OIL SPILL Please Help
« on: May 17, 2008, 09:36 PM »
I posted this same exact topic on the main discussion also but figured this maine board gets so much activity i could find someone to help here that doesnt read other boards...

I have a 16 ft starcraft center console i use to fish primarily lake trout with a 50hp 2 stroke outboard. The gas tanks are kept under the seat and run under the floor to the back. Well, i went up to the boat the other day and instantly smelled gas. The connection where the hose connects to the tank came loose a bit and spilled about a gallon or two of gas/oil mixture all over the floor and carpet. The gas obviously has evaportated but what's left is the oil on the carpets from the seat back. The carpets all warped up, still smells of gas/oil and leaves a coating of oil all over your shoes and anything that makes contact with the carpet. Any suggestions on how i can clean this up? I am not as worried about getting rid of the smell as i am finding a way to somehow get the oil out of the carpet but the smell does need to go also... thank you so much for any help, the boat is mine and my fathers and i would prefer to get this taken care of before he gets in the boat next time.

hardwatergrampa

Re: OIL SPILL Please Help
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:14 AM »
dawn dish soap works  so  so will take care of the oil put it in a rug shampooer

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:24 AM »
dawn dish soap work's so  so will take care of the oil put it in a rug shampooer
I've seen heavy restaurant grease removed from carpets by a commercial steam carpet cleaner. It's worth the money to have them come clean it. I couldn't believe the job it did.
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

HighlandLK

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:37 AM »
You can rent those carpet cleaner machines from most hardware stores, even shaws has them. Get the one with the attachment for car seats (it has a long hose) and you would be good to go.

Buzz Beerz

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Try some borax

Bigfish57

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 11:08 AM »
I have used dawn in the past for the same reason
Anthony

troutaddict33

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:27 AM »
and the dawn won't suds up like crazy when it swishes through the machine??
I read online about a powder type thing that, ive seen used in driveways and such before, that you sprinkle on then it absorbs the oil and you vaccuum it up. After that blot it with a rag that has rubbing alcohol or ammonia on it?  This kinda sucks  :-\

Bigfish57

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:26 PM »
Naw what I did was put Dawn on the carpet and use a heave scrub brush ( $2 at wally world) then put the hose to it. Use The BIo Degradable soap and give it hell, you may need a coupple applications but it's cheep and effective.
Anthony

Mainehazmt

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Dawn is used often on oil spills works great  Just dont let DEP see ya using it near water !  lol   
I am a Proud Veteran I am Not a Terrorist!

Rynnebird

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 06:19 AM »
Dish soap particuarly dawn or joy will work well. Joy is used commercially to clean out the bilges on large ships and tankers. I used to work tug boats in NYC Harbor.

troutaddict33

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 07:49 AM »
yeah i ended up using dawn. i added a little water to the carpet with dawn and scrubbed, rinsed it out, then wet vaced it all up. perfectly back to new... thanks for all the help

Yukon Steve

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 01:38 PM »
I've used Joy in the past and works pretty well. I still use it when I wash the boat now. If there's still oil stains try using Resolve proffessional, it worked great for me when I got bearing grease on our "NEW" sofa a couple of years ago.
Steve

knight rider

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 09:12 AM »
Simple green works as well.

Mainehazmt

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51 AM »
Simple green works as well.
that's one thing I would NEVER USE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   esp if you end up washing it down with a spray   simple green can cause chemical pneumonia!!!!   esp when it mixes fuel   Trust me   My partner in crime also heavy into the hazmat world now has permanent lung damage due to simple green and fuel      If you do use simple Green make sure that you wear a properly fitted respirator and appropriate cartrages!!
I am a Proud Veteran I am Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.